Nov 13, 2013, 1:53 PM PDT
Agents must be walking around the lobby at Major League Baseball’s general managers and owners meetings barking out sales pitches like ballpark peanut vendors. “SHIN-SOO CHOO, GET YOUR CHOO HEEERE.”
There’s an enormous amount of free agent hype coming out of Orlando, Florida. As teams try to fill their needs and agents attempt to set the market astoundingly high for their available players, one can only sit back and enjoy the show. Here are some of the highlights of the day.
Choo = Michael Jordan? Heck, he might be better. The greatest basketball player of all time barely hit above the Mendoza Line during his season with Double-A Birmingham in 1994.
Super agent Scott Boras is simply amazing. The Choo line wasn’t even his best of the day. Jacoby Ellsbury is expected to fetch well over $100 million largely because of Boras’ skills. By the way, Ellsbury has only been an all-star one time and had just one truly elite season. Ellsbury is good, but we’re talking about an astounding amount of money to acquire his services.
Then there’s Ervin Santana. $100 million for Ervin Santana?
Santana’s movie production values are off the charts, but his stats don’t necessarily warrant a blockbuster deal.
The Seattle Mariners have kicked so many tires that the Michelin Man went into hiding. The Mariners are expressing interest in every single free agent. According to the law of averages, they have to land one of them, right?
Not to be outdone, the Yankees have reportedly met with the representatives for Carlos Beltran, Choo, Ellsbury, Stephen Drew and Brian McCann. Here’s an artist’s rendering of what their offseason plans might look like after missing the postseason for the second time in 19 years.
Don’t expect the Yankees to go after Brian Wilson, though. Meanwhile, the Oakland Athletics signed Nick Punto to a one-year deal with a vesting option for 2015. It’s not exactly a big splash, but they add some dependable infield depth with the signing.
The A’s may be onto something based on this tweet…
Is scrubbiness the new undervalued commodity in baseball?
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Stephen and Seth Curry bring their sibling rivalry to the NBA
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Stephen Curry dons dapper attire for GQ Magazine
- Durant hits fadeaway 3-pointer to put Warriors up 32
- Cain exits game vs Dodgers with trainer before start of seventh inning
- Milwaukee Woman Says Fitbit Exploded and Burned Her Arm
- Suspicious Device Shuts Down Streets in SF's Potrero Hill
- Dozens of Minors Raid BART Train, Rob and Injure Riders
- McGee throws down monster lob dunk over two Blazers
- DeBoer reveals Thornton's injury, calls effort 'courageous'
- Durant crosses over Aminu, flies in for huge dunk
- Durant's chase-down block leads to wide open Curry 3-pointer
- Gallery: Top highlights from Game 4 between Warriors and Blazers
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|