Nov 19, 2013, 1:10 PM PDT
“Hitner” is no more — for now. The 49ers safety will remain with his given name of Donte Whitner until the NFL offseason.
I had to withdraw the name change until after the season. Judge wouldn't allow it without me being present…—
DonteHitner (@DonteWhitner) November 19, 2013
Whitner is still very committed to the cause. He made t-shirts, filed an application, payed a $130 deposit, and scheduled a hearing date, but as you can see in the court docket description, Whitner withdrew his application for a name change on Tuesday, according to the Cuyahoga County (Ohio) Probate Court’s website.
The $130 fee and a meeting with a judge are the least of Whitner’s concerns. While he has approval from his mother to change his last name, he still needs to buy out all of the Nike jerseys bearing his name from the NFL before the league will sign off on it.
The hard-hitting safety will have to let his play on the field — rather than his jersey — do the talking for the remainder of the year.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- A's lineup: Crisp back from injury, leading off in center
- Sharks kept things light during power outage
- Vegas pegs Warriors' Curry to outscore Clippers' Paul
- Rangers converting Scott Cousins from outfielder to pitcher
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Warriors-Clippers series dubbed as must-see TV
- If 49ers decline option on Smith, Baalke's 2011 draft takes a hit
- Kings unhappy with start against Sharks
- Torres, fourth line set tone early for Sharks in Game 1
- Jabari Parker declares for NBA draft
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|cinderellafellajoe on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|