Nov 19, 2013, 1:10 PM PDT
“Hitner” is no more — for now. The 49ers safety will remain with his given name of Donte Whitner until the NFL offseason.
Whitner is still very committed to the cause. He made t-shirts, filed an application, payed a $130 deposit, and scheduled a hearing date, but as you can see in the court docket description, Whitner withdrew his application for a name change on Tuesday, according to the Cuyahoga County (Ohio) Probate Court’s website.
The $130 fee and a meeting with a judge are the least of Whitner’s concerns. While he has approval from his mother to change his last name, he still needs to buy out all of the Nike jerseys bearing his name from the NFL before the league will sign off on it.
The hard-hitting safety will have to let his play on the field — rather than his jersey — do the talking for the remainder of the year.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Maxwell: Kneeling for anthem was in no way 'disrespecting my country or my flag'
- A's Catcher Becomes 1st MLB Player to Kneel for Anthem
- Madison Bumgarner, Gorkys Hernandez make statements in win over Dodgers
- Highlights: Giants' Panik, Crawford show off their gold leather vs Dodgers
- Bochy breaks down 'crisp' Bumgarner, Posey's game-winning throw
- Milo Flouts Cancellation of UC Berkeley's Free Speech Week
- Bumgarner Deals, Giants Do Enough to Beat Dodgers
- Sen. Sanders Boosts Health Care Plan in Bay Area
- Milo Yiannopoulos to March for Free Speech at UC Berkeley
- Crawford on vintage Bumgarner vs Dodgers: 'That's what we're used to'
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Rod Streater d…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Eric Sogard on…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|