Nov 19, 2013, 1:10 PM PST
“Hitner” is no more — for now. The 49ers safety will remain with his given name of Donte Whitner until the NFL offseason.
Whitner is still very committed to the cause. He made t-shirts, filed an application, payed a $130 deposit, and scheduled a hearing date, but as you can see in the court docket description, Whitner withdrew his application for a name change on Tuesday, according to the Cuyahoga County (Ohio) Probate Court’s website.
The $130 fee and a meeting with a judge are the least of Whitner’s concerns. While he has approval from his mother to change his last name, he still needs to buy out all of the Nike jerseys bearing his name from the NFL before the league will sign off on it.
The hard-hitting safety will have to let his play on the field — rather than his jersey — do the talking for the remainder of the year.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Broncos lose to Evansville in Wooden Legacy, fall to 0-7
- Warriors own best all-time season start in four major sports
- Allen posts double double, No. 14 Cal loses second straight
- Shot of the Game: Curry shows off his lightning-quick release
- Warriors set NBA record for 3-pointers in one half
- Report: MLB to investigate Puig under new DV policy
- Ex-49ers CB tears ACL again, headed for IR
- San Jose State falls to Boise State's potent offense
- Police: Dodgers' Puig hit bouncer in fight at Miami nightclub
- With multiple teams interested, who lands David Price?
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|