Nov 19, 2013, 1:10 PM PDT
“Hitner” is no more — for now. The 49ers safety will remain with his given name of Donte Whitner until the NFL offseason.
Whitner is still very committed to the cause. He made t-shirts, filed an application, payed a $130 deposit, and scheduled a hearing date, but as you can see in the court docket description, Whitner withdrew his application for a name change on Tuesday, according to the Cuyahoga County (Ohio) Probate Court’s website.
The $130 fee and a meeting with a judge are the least of Whitner’s concerns. While he has approval from his mother to change his last name, he still needs to buy out all of the Nike jerseys bearing his name from the NFL before the league will sign off on it.
The hard-hitting safety will have to let his play on the field — rather than his jersey — do the talking for the remainder of the year.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Watch: Full replays of The Open coverage
- '98 Open champ O'Meara makes mess of opening hole
- Live blog, The Open: Day 1 at Royal Birkdale
- Father Pushing Stroller Fatally Shot in Street Near Hayward
- Wildfire Burning Near Yosemite Spreads to 75 Square Miles
- Actor Bill Murray Pays Visit to Paralyzed Cal Rugby Player
- Four Inmates Overdose at Santa Clara County Jail
- SJ Police Dog Bites Toddler as Cops Search for Wanted Felon
- Watch: Bunker hole-out for first eagle of 146th Open
- California Rescuers Free Whale Snagged by Fishing Anchors
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: ‘Get Nin…|
|louiecarmae on More pics of Balfour’s m…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Check out Mich…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sharks chomp P…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Curry…|