Nov 19, 2013, 1:10 PM PST
“Hitner” is no more — for now. The 49ers safety will remain with his given name of Donte Whitner until the NFL offseason.
Whitner is still very committed to the cause. He made t-shirts, filed an application, payed a $130 deposit, and scheduled a hearing date, but as you can see in the court docket description, Whitner withdrew his application for a name change on Tuesday, according to the Cuyahoga County (Ohio) Probate Court’s website.
The $130 fee and a meeting with a judge are the least of Whitner’s concerns. While he has approval from his mother to change his last name, he still needs to buy out all of the Nike jerseys bearing his name from the NFL before the league will sign off on it.
The hard-hitting safety will have to let his play on the field — rather than his jersey — do the talking for the remainder of the year.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Man Faces Murder Charge in Crash That Killed 4-Year-Old Girl
- Struggling SF Kink Cafe Turns to Crowdsourcing to Stay Open
- East Bay Mom Takes Holistic Approach to Fighting Off Flu
- Jack Cooley gets an All-Star vote
- San Jose Land Slated For High Rise is Contaminated: Lawsuit
- Sharks Unable to Cap Off Comeback Against MacKinnon, Avs
- Former Cal Women's Hoops Star Files Sexual Assault Lawsuit
- SF Won't Veer From Protecting Sanctuary City Policies: Mayor
- Sharks can't cap off comeback against MacKinnon, streaking Avalanche
- Flu Virus Can Be Spread Just From Breathing: New Study
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|