Nov 19, 2013, 1:10 PM PST
“Hitner” is no more — for now. The 49ers safety will remain with his given name of Donte Whitner until the NFL offseason.
Whitner is still very committed to the cause. He made t-shirts, filed an application, payed a $130 deposit, and scheduled a hearing date, but as you can see in the court docket description, Whitner withdrew his application for a name change on Tuesday, according to the Cuyahoga County (Ohio) Probate Court’s website.
The $130 fee and a meeting with a judge are the least of Whitner’s concerns. While he has approval from his mother to change his last name, he still needs to buy out all of the Nike jerseys bearing his name from the NFL before the league will sign off on it.
The hard-hitting safety will have to let his play on the field — rather than his jersey — do the talking for the remainder of the year.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Wrigley Field facing similar biohazards as Mount Everest
- Tyvon Branch headed to DC after Colts visit
- LIVE: Bucks vs. Warriors
- MLS, players agree in principle to 5-year labor contract
- Warriors’ Bogut welcomes 49ers’ Hayne to Bay Area, ‘mate’
- Semien stars again as A's drop Giants 9-2
- MLS labor negotiations continue, players' strike looms
- Former Warriors 7-footer Christian Welp passes at age 51
- Report: 49ers looking to trade Wilhoite
- Krukow: 'Bumgarner could have 14.00 ERA' & nobody will worry
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|