Nov 21, 2013, 4:09 PM PDT
The University of San Francisco just landed a legendary name for their baseball program.
On Thursday, the Diamond Dons announced that Manny Ramirez Jr. — the son of 12-time MLB All-Star Manny Ramirez — is one of eight recently recruited prospects to sign with the school. He transferred from Central Arizona College. In this case, the apple didn’t fall too far from the tree, as the 6-foot-4, 215 pound first baseman packs a wallop.
Ramirez Jr., 18, hit .331 with 11 doubles, two triples, three home runs and 36 RBI at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. He hit .361 in his senior season. In this case, however, “Manny being Manny” takes on a whole new meaning. The young slugger is eager to forge his own identity.
“We are very excited to have signed Manny Ramirez Jr.,” Dons Head Coach Nino Giarratano in an email. “He is a very talented hitter, has a chance to hit in the middle of our line-up, and provide us with a great approach as a hitter and defensive first baseman. The best part of Manny is how he handles himself as a person- he is very humble, driven, and competitive.”
Ramirez Jr. drew as many walks (28) as he had strikeouts (28) while playing high school baseball. He’ll have a chance to make a name for himself in San Francisco. Manny Ramirez Sr. spent part of the 2013 season playing in Taiwan after being released by the Oakland Athletics and Texas Rangers.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Ampex Sign, Long a Silicon Valley Fixture, Being Dismantled
- No Plea Deals in Oakland Ghost Ship Warehouse Fire Case: DA
- Google Bus Crashes Due to 'Mechanical Issue' in San Mateo
- Man Charged in CHP Officer's Death Posts $90K Bail
- Coyote Sightings on the Rise in San Francisco
- Willow Glen Residents Vent at Neighborhood Watch Meeting
- Family of Man Killed Along With CHP Officer Arrives, Speaks
- Memorial Service for Fallen CHP Officer Kirk Griess
- Steph Curry sheds light on Game 1 trash talk with LeBron James, promises there are 'adversarial relationships' in NBA
- Stagecoach Greens Mini-Golf Highlights SF's History
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|