Nov 21, 2013, 4:09 PM PDT
The University of San Francisco just landed a legendary name for their baseball program.
On Thursday, the Diamond Dons announced that Manny Ramirez Jr. — the son of 12-time MLB All-Star Manny Ramirez — is one of eight recently recruited prospects to sign with the school. He transferred from Central Arizona College. In this case, the apple didn’t fall too far from the tree, as the 6-foot-4, 215 pound first baseman packs a wallop.
Ramirez Jr., 18, hit .331 with 11 doubles, two triples, three home runs and 36 RBI at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. He hit .361 in his senior season. In this case, however, “Manny being Manny” takes on a whole new meaning. The young slugger is eager to forge his own identity.
“We are very excited to have signed Manny Ramirez Jr.,” Dons Head Coach Nino Giarratano in an email. “He is a very talented hitter, has a chance to hit in the middle of our line-up, and provide us with a great approach as a hitter and defensive first baseman. The best part of Manny is how he handles himself as a person- he is very humble, driven, and competitive.”
Ramirez Jr. drew as many walks (28) as he had strikeouts (28) while playing high school baseball. He’ll have a chance to make a name for himself in San Francisco. Manny Ramirez Sr. spent part of the 2013 season playing in Taiwan after being released by the Oakland Athletics and Texas Rangers.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Watch: Full replays of The Open coverage
- '98 Open champ O'Meara makes mess of opening hole
- Live blog, The Open: Day 1 at Royal Birkdale
- Father Pushing Stroller Fatally Shot in Street Near Hayward
- Wildfire Burning Near Yosemite Spreads to 75 Square Miles
- Actor Bill Murray Pays Visit to Paralyzed Cal Rugby Player
- Four Inmates Overdose at Santa Clara County Jail
- SJ Police Dog Bites Toddler as Cops Search for Wanted Felon
- Watch: Bunker hole-out for first eagle of 146th Open
- California Rescuers Free Whale Snagged by Fishing Anchors
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: ‘Get Nin…|
|louiecarmae on More pics of Balfour’s m…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Check out Mich…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sharks chomp P…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Curry…|