Nov 21, 2013, 4:09 PM PDT
The University of San Francisco just landed a legendary name for their baseball program.
On Thursday, the Diamond Dons announced that Manny Ramirez Jr. — the son of 12-time MLB All-Star Manny Ramirez — is one of eight recently recruited prospects to sign with the school. He transferred from Central Arizona College. In this case, the apple didn’t fall too far from the tree, as the 6-foot-4, 215 pound first baseman packs a wallop.
Ramirez Jr., 18, hit .331 with 11 doubles, two triples, three home runs and 36 RBI at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. He hit .361 in his senior season. In this case, however, “Manny being Manny” takes on a whole new meaning. The young slugger is eager to forge his own identity.
“We are very excited to have signed Manny Ramirez Jr.,” Dons Head Coach Nino Giarratano in an email. “He is a very talented hitter, has a chance to hit in the middle of our line-up, and provide us with a great approach as a hitter and defensive first baseman. The best part of Manny is how he handles himself as a person- he is very humble, driven, and competitive.”
Ramirez Jr. drew as many walks (28) as he had strikeouts (28) while playing high school baseball. He’ll have a chance to make a name for himself in San Francisco. Manny Ramirez Sr. spent part of the 2013 season playing in Taiwan after being released by the Oakland Athletics and Texas Rangers.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Gilroy Teen Has 'Eye-Opening' Audition for NBC's 'The Voice'
- Man Arrested After Posing as Nurse at SF Medical Clinic: DA
- East Palo Alto Man Accused of Running Illegal Cockfights
- Cost of Living, Traffic Driving Millennials Out of Bay Area
- Arrest Made in SF Triple Shooting That Killed Woman
- Chip Kelly: 'Zero distraction' from Colin Kaepernick last season
- VTA Train Strikes, Kills Pedestrian in Campbell
- One Person Burned in Redwood City Elementary School Fire
- Twitter Eases 140-Character Limit in Replies
- When asked about facing Kings for first time, Cousins plays possum
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|