Nov 22, 2013, 3:00 PM PDT
A lot of professional athletes post pictures of cars, their kids, or inspirational quotes on Instagram. The Oakland Raiders post pictures of predacious animals.
A new social media trend is developing inside the Raiders locker room on game days. It started with defensive end Lamarr Houston, who fills his Instagram photo feed with images of wolves in the hours leading up to each game. It helps him get into a certain mindset before hitting the field.
“You have to have that wolf in the winter cold mentality,” Houston said.
He likens the way wolves hunt and survive in packs to the way he competes on the field with his teammates.
In his fourth season in the league, Houston has emerged as one of the Raiders defensive leaders. He has five sacks and 42 tackles this year. Following Houston’s lead, special teams gunner Taiwan Jones started doing the same thing, but with his own twist. He didn’t want to be a copy cat, so he went with lion pictures instead.
“I’m a Leo, so my symbol is a lion,” Jones said. “They’re just beasts and that’s what I try to be every Sunday.”
Jones is eating up would-be return men on the field and garnering pro bowl buzz in the process. Wide receiver Rod Streater has also posted a pregame lion picture recently. The trend is slowly catching on. It’s cool that on and off the field, Houston’s teammates won’t let him be a one-man wolf pack.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Remains of Woman Who Disappeared While Shopping Identified
- SFO Travelers To and From London React to Terror Attack
- iCloud Hacked, 200M iPhone Users' Data in Danger: Report
- High School Investigates Alleged Cyberbullying Incident
- Anderson Dam Seismic Vulnerability Concerns Nearby Residents
- Tow Truck Crashes Into Hwy. 101 Divider in SF, Injuring One
- Tyreke Evans: I play best with the ball in my hands
- Highlights: Kings can't keep up with athletic Bucks
- Joerger: Kings big man Cauley-Stein getting closer with more experience
- Can Skal see himself as an Antetokounmpo in the future?
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|