Nov 26, 2013, 3:24 PM PDT
The holiday season is a time of reflection, happiness, giving and truly awful sports crossover efforts. Every year at this time, sports franchises and players inevitably whiff wildly when trying to deliver holiday cheer.
Without further adieu, here are the top five sports-holiday hybrids of the season (so far). Sadly, there will be many more to come in the next month.
1. NBA’s Jingle Hoops: Someone was smart enough to create a massive distraction while showcasing the NBA’s sleeved jerseys. With six NBA superstars taking shots at basketball hoops affixed with jingle bells, you don’t even notice the ugly attire. The advertisement features a high degree of difficulty and creativity.
2. Reading Royals holiday sweaters: This is really happening. When something is intentionally hideous, it becomes spectacular. The Reading Royals of the ECHL are wearing these holiday sweaters on December 14. Even better, they’d probably make a good chunk of change if they chose to auction them off for charity.
3. The animated NHL workshop: An animated Jonathan Toews and a sock monkey operate an assembly line. That’s pretty much all you need to know.
4. Smoking turkey: Detroit Lions linebacker Stephen Tulloch misinterpreted what “dressing a turkey” means. Hopefully his swagged out bird didn’t get people ill.
5. The New York Mets sing: The New York Mets thought it would be a good idea to record a holiday video with their players singing “Sleigh Bells.” Cute idea in theory. Unfortunately, the players didn’t buy in and it looks like it was recorded on a green screen in a cave somewhere with the players being held against their will. The interludes from Mr. and Mrs. Met and heaps of CGI snow can’t possibly save this monotonous sleighwreck.
Honorable mention: Ugly NBA-themed sweaters: OK. So maybe this idea technically doesn’t exist. But thanks to SportsGrid, you can imagine what it would be like if the NBA decided to market a line of holiday sweaters. Would it be wrong to admit the Warriors one is kind of cool? They actually took the time to mock up a sweater for each team.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Berkeley Architect Fights Religious Oppression With Education: Teaches At Illegal, Underground University
- Man Suspected of Having Sex With Teen Boy in Novato: Police
- 49ers Pick Stanford DE Solomon Thomas in the First Round
- Raiders Take Ohio St. CB Gareon Conley in 1st Round of Draft
- Police in Standoff with Walnut Creek Homicide Suspect
- Teacher Accused of Taking Lewd Photos of Young Girls
- Raiders' first-round pick Conley opens up on emotions after off-field issues
- Drive of the Game: Alonso puts A's on the board with single vs Angels
- Graveman breaks down unreal double play, making progress on mound
- Melvin on Graveman double play: Best play manager has ever seen by pitcher
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|