Nov 26, 2013, 3:24 PM PDT
The holiday season is a time of reflection, happiness, giving and truly awful sports crossover efforts. Every year at this time, sports franchises and players inevitably whiff wildly when trying to deliver holiday cheer.
Without further adieu, here are the top five sports-holiday hybrids of the season (so far). Sadly, there will be many more to come in the next month.
1. NBA’s Jingle Hoops: Someone was smart enough to create a massive distraction while showcasing the NBA’s sleeved jerseys. With six NBA superstars taking shots at basketball hoops affixed with jingle bells, you don’t even notice the ugly attire. The advertisement features a high degree of difficulty and creativity.
2. Reading Royals holiday sweaters: This is really happening. When something is intentionally hideous, it becomes spectacular. The Reading Royals of the ECHL are wearing these holiday sweaters on December 14. Even better, they’d probably make a good chunk of change if they chose to auction them off for charity.
3. The animated NHL workshop: An animated Jonathan Toews and a sock monkey operate an assembly line. That’s pretty much all you need to know.
4. Smoking turkey: Detroit Lions linebacker Stephen Tulloch misinterpreted what “dressing a turkey” means. Hopefully his swagged out bird didn’t get people ill.
5. The New York Mets sing: The New York Mets thought it would be a good idea to record a holiday video with their players singing “Sleigh Bells.” Cute idea in theory. Unfortunately, the players didn’t buy in and it looks like it was recorded on a green screen in a cave somewhere with the players being held against their will. The interludes from Mr. and Mrs. Met and heaps of CGI snow can’t possibly save this monotonous sleighwreck.
Honorable mention: Ugly NBA-themed sweaters: OK. So maybe this idea technically doesn’t exist. But thanks to SportsGrid, you can imagine what it would be like if the NBA decided to market a line of holiday sweaters. Would it be wrong to admit the Warriors one is kind of cool? They actually took the time to mock up a sweater for each team.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- Betcha' didn't know this about baseballs
- Field of Links: Kap pitches in, Alex Smith tees it up with 49ers, Sharks and Warriors struggling
- Hall and Oates, Tears For Fears Show in San Jose Postponed
- Pepper Spray Prompts Evacuations at South San Jose Hotel
- Highlights: Another Giants loss? Here's a skateboarding dog and dancing kid
- Father Arrested After Abandoning Baby in Suisun City: Police
- Bochy voices frustration with umpire after loss to Pirates
- Pavlovic: Headed to Sacramento, Pablo has lot of work to do
- Fallon Smith throws down on Ahmed Fareed in #DriveByDunkChallenge
- Listless Giants roughed up by Pirates in ejection-filled series opener
- Woman Arrested in Man's Fatal Stabbing in Burlingame Home
- Done with SJ, Pablo trying to get to San Francisco as soon as possible
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: SB48 fall…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Curry…|
|louiecarmae on More pics of Balfour’s m…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: ‘Get Nin…|