Dec 3, 2013, 2:26 PM PST
Baseball players have some intimidating nicknames. There’s Mariano “The Sandman” Rivera, Albert “The Machine” Pujols, Grant Balfour “Rage,” “Big Papi” David Ortiz, “King” Felix Hernandez, and Craig “Kitten Face” Gentry. Wait… Kitten Face?
Gentry, who was acquired by the Oakland Athletics from the Texas Rangers on Tuesday, easily has one of the strangest nicknames ever. The first use of the nickname can be credited to a Rangers fan named Michael Gruber.
The cute monicker caught on and made Gentry a cult celebrity in Texas. He has even been seen in the Rangers’ clubhouse wearing a shirt featuring his image with added whiskers. There’s also a “Kitten Face” Twitter account and many cat-themed Gentry photos on this Pinterest page.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram documented the strange phenomenon last season:
Gentry doesn’t know how that nickname originated but believes his play on the field has gotten him more recognition from fans.
“I really don’t know how I am viewed because I’m not on Twitter or Facebook, but fans appreciate players who work hard and play the game the right way,” Gentry told the Star-Telegram. “That’s how I approach it every day. I’m going to run every ball out and I’m going to hustle and give everything I have.”
His on-the-field play does speak for itself. Gentry, 30, batted .280 for the Rangers in 2013. He achieved career highs in runs (39), triples (4), home runs (2), walks (29) and stolen bases (24) last season. Kitten-loving Rangers fans miss him already.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Field of Links: Kap pitches in, Alex Smith tees it up with 49ers, Sharks and Warriors struggling
- Ever wonder how the Giants chalk their infield?
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Bad offense, not bad officiating, is main culprit for Sharks' skid
- Gameday: How the well-rested Nets will test the Durant-less Warriors
- Joel Embiid 'likes' Kevin Durant's postgame comments
- Steph Curry goes on rant over how Celtics-in-Finals comments were interpreted
- Warriors F Kevin Durant won't play vs Nets due to ankle injury
- Watch: Fleetwood gets emotional with family after Race to Dubai win
- SFO Is Among 10 Most Instagram-Worthy Airports in US: Report
- Matsuyama after Koepka rout: 'Huge gap between us'
- McCormick to caddie for Spieth at Aussie Open
- Rahm wins finale, Fleetwood takes Race to Dubai
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|