Dec 3, 2013, 2:26 PM PDT
Baseball players have some intimidating nicknames. There’s Mariano “The Sandman” Rivera, Albert “The Machine” Pujols, Grant Balfour “Rage,” “Big Papi” David Ortiz, “King” Felix Hernandez, and Craig “Kitten Face” Gentry. Wait… Kitten Face?
Gentry, who was acquired by the Oakland Athletics from the Texas Rangers on Tuesday, easily has one of the strangest nicknames ever. The first use of the nickname can be credited to a Rangers fan named Michael Gruber.
The cute monicker caught on and made Gentry a cult celebrity in Texas. He has even been seen in the Rangers’ clubhouse wearing a shirt featuring his image with added whiskers. There’s also a “Kitten Face” Twitter account and many cat-themed Gentry photos on this Pinterest page.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram documented the strange phenomenon last season:
Gentry doesn’t know how that nickname originated but believes his play on the field has gotten him more recognition from fans.
“I really don’t know how I am viewed because I’m not on Twitter or Facebook, but fans appreciate players who work hard and play the game the right way,” Gentry told the Star-Telegram. “That’s how I approach it every day. I’m going to run every ball out and I’m going to hustle and give everything I have.”
His on-the-field play does speak for itself. Gentry, 30, batted .280 for the Rangers in 2013. He achieved career highs in runs (39), triples (4), home runs (2), walks (29) and stolen bases (24) last season. Kitten-loving Rangers fans miss him already.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Kevin Durant shows his MVP self in Warriors' Game 3 win vs. Clippers
- Warriors find the focus that's eluded them in clobbering of Clippers
- Kevin Durant goes off for 38 points in Warriors' Game 3 win vs. Clippers
- Sharks escape elimination with dominant Game 5 win over Golden Knights
- Sharks keep emotions in check, season alive in Game 5 win vs. Vegas
- Missing Teen Feared Drowned in Half Moon Bay
- Shot of the Game: Kevin Durant makes ridiculous and-one vs. Clippers
- Warriors had 'a pretty good formula' in runaway win over Clippers in Game 3
- Molting Elephant Seal Draws Spectators at SF Aquatic Park
- Warriors Start, Finish Strong to Take Game 3 Over Clippers
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|