Dec 3, 2013, 2:26 PM PDT
Baseball players have some intimidating nicknames. There’s Mariano “The Sandman” Rivera, Albert “The Machine” Pujols, Grant Balfour “Rage,” “Big Papi” David Ortiz, “King” Felix Hernandez, and Craig “Kitten Face” Gentry. Wait… Kitten Face?
Gentry, who was acquired by the Oakland Athletics from the Texas Rangers on Tuesday, easily has one of the strangest nicknames ever. The first use of the nickname can be credited to a Rangers fan named Michael Gruber.
The cute monicker caught on and made Gentry a cult celebrity in Texas. He has even been seen in the Rangers’ clubhouse wearing a shirt featuring his image with added whiskers. There’s also a “Kitten Face” Twitter account and many cat-themed Gentry photos on this Pinterest page.
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram documented the strange phenomenon last season:
Gentry doesn’t know how that nickname originated but believes his play on the field has gotten him more recognition from fans.
“I really don’t know how I am viewed because I’m not on Twitter or Facebook, but fans appreciate players who work hard and play the game the right way,” Gentry told the Star-Telegram. “That’s how I approach it every day. I’m going to run every ball out and I’m going to hustle and give everything I have.”
His on-the-field play does speak for itself. Gentry, 30, batted .280 for the Rangers in 2013. He achieved career highs in runs (39), triples (4), home runs (2), walks (29) and stolen bases (24) last season. Kitten-loving Rangers fans miss him already.
Now that Kitten Face has been traded, you Rangers fans feel the pain we Astros fans felt when they traded away Hunter Pence.—
Ryan Munthe (@rjmunthe) December 03, 2013
I loved the the Kinsler-Fielder trade but trading Kitten Face crosses the line JD….—
YEEHAW (@hellowincolumnn) December 03, 2013
Rangers traded kitten face Craig Gentry?? WHY.—
Lara Overman (@laraoverman) December 03, 2013
No more AJP, Nathan, or Kitten Face.. Who am I supposed to cheer for now?!—
Justin Ferguson (@justinferguson9) December 03, 2013
It's a sad sad day for kitten face fans… I can't believe it. Gentry's was such a gamer and had great upside 😿—
Jody Spain (@Jspain5) December 03, 2013
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Q&A with Barry Bonds after his first full teaching day with Giants
- Bethea agrees to terms with 49ers to replace Whitner
- Peverley's event all too familiar to Sharks' McLellan
- Sharks' Pavelski to face Team USA linemates
- Barry Bonds quietly gets to work, even swings a bat
- Torres could miss Sharks-Leafs game
- Dawson agrees to terms with 49ers
- 49ers free agent tracker
- Curry plans to play against old friend Monta, Mavericks
- Report: Whitner expects to sign with Browns
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|cinderellafellajoe on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
- You must see the Fresno Grizzlies’ Ninja Turtle uniforms
- Seahawks dominate jersey sales with Kap and 49ers finishing third
- There’s a Golden State Warriors sport coat
- Field of Links: Sharks chomp Penguins, Klay’s best friend, high school student taking NFL cheerleader to prom
- Lincecum swaps uniforms with much larger teammate