Dec 9, 2013, 3:25 PM PST
San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh paid tribute to the late Al Davis during his Monday press conference. Harbaugh quoted Davis when asked about the 49ers playoff hopes.
“Where we’re at we’ve got to win football games,” Harbaugh said. “Al Davis said it as well as can ever be said, ‘just win,’ and those are our intentions.”
Harbaugh personally knew the late Raiders general manager and owner, but flubbed the expression by leaving out the word “baby” at the end.
Harbaugh worked for Davis as the quarterbacks coach for the Raiders in 2002 and 2003. In 2002, quarterback Rich Gannon led the Raiders to the Super Bowl, but they lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Harbaugh left the Raiders to become the head coach at University of San Diego in 2004
After Al Davis passed away on Oct. 8, 2011, Harbaugh spoke very highly of Davis in a team statement.
“Mr. Davis is a titan and pillar of the game. I had the pleasure and honor to know him and to work for him. And to me, he is the greatest. The autumn wind will always be a Raider.”
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Jerebko leads trio of potent options, as Warriors' bench scoring rises
- Steph Curry wanted a lob pass for a dunk; Kevin Durant said 'Nah son'
- Sonoma Co. Agrees to $3M Settlement to Family of Andy Lopez
- Sharks vs. Wild watch guide: Projected lines and defensive pairs
- 2019 NFL draft order: Raiders move on up, still stuck behind Cardinals
- Giants outfield situation could change drastically before Opening Day
- NBA refs respond after Andre Iguodala tweets about James Harden's stepback
- Robbie Gould, Mr. Consistency, faces uncertain future with 49ers
- 49ers rookie Tarvarius Moore shows Kyle Shanahan he's 'not scared'
- 49ers Solomon Thomas' best plays of career won't show up on stat sheet
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|