Dec 9, 2013, 3:25 PM PDT
San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh paid tribute to the late Al Davis during his Monday press conference. Harbaugh quoted Davis when asked about the 49ers playoff hopes.
“Where we’re at we’ve got to win football games,” Harbaugh said. “Al Davis said it as well as can ever be said, ‘just win,’ and those are our intentions.”
Harbaugh personally knew the late Raiders general manager and owner, but flubbed the expression by leaving out the word “baby” at the end.
Harbaugh worked for Davis as the quarterbacks coach for the Raiders in 2002 and 2003. In 2002, quarterback Rich Gannon led the Raiders to the Super Bowl, but they lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Harbaugh left the Raiders to become the head coach at University of San Diego in 2004
After Al Davis passed away on Oct. 8, 2011, Harbaugh spoke very highly of Davis in a team statement.
“Mr. Davis is a titan and pillar of the game. I had the pleasure and honor to know him and to work for him. And to me, he is the greatest. The autumn wind will always be a Raider.”
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Warriors Outsiders Podcast: Player-by-player breakdown of series-clinching win over Spurs
- Suddenly Hot Giants Beat Nationals, Seal 2nd Straight Series
- Warriors take home solid report card after Game 5 win
- Parents Say Bullied Students Kicked Out of School
- Warriors Top Spurs in Game 5, Win First-Round Playoff Series
- 3-Alarm Fire Rips Through Concord Building; 250 Displaced
- Warriors send Spurs home, advance to face Pelicans
- Film room: Assigning responsibility for Mirotic's six 3-pointers vs Warriors on April 7
- Williamson, Belt stay hot to lead Giants to series win
- Bucket-by-bucket: Klay pours in 24 in series clincher
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|