Dec 9, 2013, 3:25 PM PST
San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh paid tribute to the late Al Davis during his Monday press conference. Harbaugh quoted Davis when asked about the 49ers playoff hopes.
“Where we’re at we’ve got to win football games,” Harbaugh said. “Al Davis said it as well as can ever be said, ‘just win,’ and those are our intentions.”
Harbaugh personally knew the late Raiders general manager and owner, but flubbed the expression by leaving out the word “baby” at the end.
Harbaugh worked for Davis as the quarterbacks coach for the Raiders in 2002 and 2003. In 2002, quarterback Rich Gannon led the Raiders to the Super Bowl, but they lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Harbaugh left the Raiders to become the head coach at University of San Diego in 2004
After Al Davis passed away on Oct. 8, 2011, Harbaugh spoke very highly of Davis in a team statement.
“Mr. Davis is a titan and pillar of the game. I had the pleasure and honor to know him and to work for him. And to me, he is the greatest. The autumn wind will always be a Raider.”
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Why Farhan Zaidi chose Scott Harris as Giants' new general manager
- 49ers activate Garrett Celek from PUP
- Overturned Tanker Truck on Hwy. 101 in San Martin
- Draymond Green returning to Warriors with aching finger, heavy heart
- Steph Curry takes jab at Michael Jordan for Hall of Fame comment
- HEADSTRONG: Charles Haley opens up on his bipolar disease, mental illness
- Bay Area rapper E-40 drops 49ers-themed song before game vs. Seahawks
- Raiders fans can dare to dream of Jon Gruden leading team to playoffs
- Former 49ers great Charles Haley tackles mental illness in HEADSTRONG
- Rebirth, Angst and the 'New Normal' of California Wildfires
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|