Dec 10, 2013, 4:49 PM PST
American Football could become an Olympic sport as soon as 2024.
On Tuesday, the International Federation of American Football was granted provisional recognition by the International Olympic Committee, in a meeting that took place in Lausanne, Switzerland. The provisional recognition paves the way for a vote that could take place as early as 2017. If it’s met with approval, football would be played at the 2024 Summer Olympics.
It’s hard to imagine many other countries standing a chance in competition against a U.S. football “Dream Team,” but the game is steadily growing internationally. American football is currently played in 64 countries on six continents.
You wouldn’t have to look any further than the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers to find international players. Raiders tackle Menelik Watson and 49ers defensive end Lawrence Okoye are from the U.K., and Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski is from Poland.
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has been very committed to making our brand of football a worldwide sport. The 49ers have played in London, England twice in the past five years, and the Raiders will be facing the Miami Dolphins in Wembley Stadium on Sept. 28, 2014.
Seeing as how American’s can’t get enough football, imagine how cool it would be to watch some of the game’s elite players teaming up together to compete for gold medals. It sure beats the Pro Bowl.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- NBA rumors: Kings' De'Aaron Fox suffers apparent ankle injury in practice
- MLB free agency: Pros, cons for Giants signing pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu
- Infant's Body Found Near San Francisco Golf Course: Police
- D.J. Swearinger ready to bring immediate aid to Raiders' ailing secondary
- Why Farhan Zaidi chose Scott Harris as Giants' new general manager
- 49ers activate Garrett Celek; George Kittle likely out vs. Seahawks
- Overturned Tanker Truck on Hwy. 101 in San Martin
- Draymond Green returning to Warriors with aching finger, heavy heart
- Steph Curry takes jab at Michael Jordan over Hall of Fame comment
- HEADSTRONG: Charles Haley opens up on his bipolar disease, mental illness
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|