Dec 10, 2013, 4:49 PM PDT
American Football could become an Olympic sport as soon as 2024.
On Tuesday, the International Federation of American Football was granted provisional recognition by the International Olympic Committee, in a meeting that took place in Lausanne, Switzerland. The provisional recognition paves the way for a vote that could take place as early as 2017. If it’s met with approval, football would be played at the 2024 Summer Olympics.
It’s hard to imagine many other countries standing a chance in competition against a U.S. football “Dream Team,” but the game is steadily growing internationally. American football is currently played in 64 countries on six continents.
You wouldn’t have to look any further than the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers to find international players. Raiders tackle Menelik Watson and 49ers defensive end Lawrence Okoye are from the U.K., and Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski is from Poland.
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has been very committed to making our brand of football a worldwide sport. The 49ers have played in London, England twice in the past five years, and the Raiders will be facing the Miami Dolphins in Wembley Stadium on Sept. 28, 2014.
Seeing as how American’s can’t get enough football, imagine how cool it would be to watch some of the game’s elite players teaming up together to compete for gold medals. It sure beats the Pro Bowl.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- TBT: Juan Marichal attacks John Roseboro with a bat
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Field of Links: Kap pitches in, Alex Smith tees it up with 49ers, Sharks and Warriors struggling
- The Hidden Relics of Candlestick Park
- Santos' 48-yard field goal lifts Chiefs over Chargers
- 49ers in awe of record-setting Manning
- Kilgore's season in doubt after sustaining fractured leg
- Harvin responsible for everything that went wrong this weekend
- Instant Replay: 49ers dismantled by flawless Manning 42-17
- Warriors rest Splash Brothers, fall to Rockets 90-83
- What they're saying: Manning breaks Favre's TD record
- Manning sets TD record in second quarter vs. 49ers
- Rewind: Preventable errors cost Sharks in loss to Rangers
- Baalke unaware Aldon Smith's suspension could be reduced
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|