Dec 10, 2013, 4:49 PM PDT
American Football could become an Olympic sport as soon as 2024.
On Tuesday, the International Federation of American Football was granted provisional recognition by the International Olympic Committee, in a meeting that took place in Lausanne, Switzerland. The provisional recognition paves the way for a vote that could take place as early as 2017. If it’s met with approval, football would be played at the 2024 Summer Olympics.
It’s hard to imagine many other countries standing a chance in competition against a U.S. football “Dream Team,” but the game is steadily growing internationally. American football is currently played in 64 countries on six continents.
You wouldn’t have to look any further than the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers to find international players. Raiders tackle Menelik Watson and 49ers defensive end Lawrence Okoye are from the U.K., and Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski is from Poland.
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has been very committed to making our brand of football a worldwide sport. The 49ers have played in London, England twice in the past five years, and the Raiders will be facing the Miami Dolphins in Wembley Stadium on Sept. 28, 2014.
Seeing as how American’s can’t get enough football, imagine how cool it would be to watch some of the game’s elite players teaming up together to compete for gold medals. It sure beats the Pro Bowl.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- A's Dave Kaval responds to Mark Davis remarks, fees bad for Raiders fans
- Brandon Belt, Kevin Pillar provide offense as Logan Webb wins Giants' debut
- NBC Bay Area and Telemundo 48 Team Up to Clear the Shelters
- Giants prospect Jaylin Davis has six homers in last three MILB games
- Harrison Barnes all smiles as last Kings player on Team USA roster
- 'Tough mentality' early helps Giants' Logan Webb earn win in MLB debut
- Man Arrested in Assault, Robbery of Tanforan Mall Employee
- Brandon Belt drives in six as Giants beat D-backs in Logan Webb's debut
- Drive of the Game: Brandon Belt's grand slam gives Giants 4-2 lead
- Chris Wondolowski scores early, but Earthquakes fall to Sporting KC
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|