Dec 12, 2013, 1:07 PM PDT
The Seattle Seahawks “12th Man” took their shot at San Francisco 49ers fans and got 15 minutes of fame. In response, the 49ers Faithful are set to deliver an entire month of retribution.
A group of 49ers fans have raised over $7,000 to buy a month of time on a digital billboard near CenturyLink Field, the home of the Seahawks. The movement was started on a Facebook fan page and the funds were collected on a GoFundMe site. The 49ers fans were angry at the “12th Man” for buying bricks at Levi’s Stadium, and flying a banner around Candlestick Park before the game last Sunday was the last straw.
The movement was started by Aasheesh Shravah, a fan that current lives in New York. He grew up in the Bay Area watching the 49ers during the Joe Montana years, and he flies to San Francisco for many of the games.
“I called up Seattle companies and got some prices, and we figured if we could raise at least $7,000, we’d be able to do something in response to the banner,” Shravah said on the phone. “So many people responded. It has been amazing the support this thing has received.”
On the first day, they made $3,000. In four days, they had their $7,000 and then some.
Raising the money was the easy part, though. A contract has yet to be signed with the billboard company, and they had to promise it wouldn’t be a derogatory message. The billboard company will be reviewing the designs submitted by the fan group before putting it up.
“We’re going to try to keep it classy and represent the 49ers,” Shravah said.
The billboard designs were done for free by another 49ers fan in the Facebook group. Much like the Seahawks fans sent a portion of the money they collected for the “Go Hawks-12” banner to Wounded Warrior Project, these 49ers fans are going to give any excess cash they raise to Seattle Children’s Hospital. They currently have $780 ready to give to charity.
“We figured if we’re doing this in Seattle, why not do it for a charity in Seattle?” Shravah explained.
With all the animosity between these two NFC West division rivals, and their fan bases, it sure is nice to see that some good is coming out of it.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Field of Links: Dodgers' disrespectful dunk, Coco's many handshakes, Giants rookies strip down
- Ever wonder what MLB players talk about at 1B?
- Steph Curry explains his new flavored mouthguards
- Sharks show their toughness in Saturday night bout with Islanders
- Sharks lay the hammer on Islanders on 'Los Tiburones Night'
- Watch Rajon Rondo punch Chris Paul in Lakers-Rockets NBA brawl
- Shot of the Game: Brent Burns scores his first goal of the season
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in San Jose's 4-1 win over the Islanders
- Brent Burns' first goal of the season sounds even better in Spanish
- 'GOL LOS TIBURONES DE SAN JOSE!' Joonas Donskoi give Sharks a 2-1 lead
- Watch the Sharks' goals vs. Islanders on 'Los Tiburones Night' in Spanish
- Sharks fan catches puck while on the phone
- Tiempo de Timo: Meier scores for Sharks on 'Los Tiburones Night'
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|