Dec 16, 2013, 1:52 PM PDT
A horse is a horse, of course, of course, but this horse is named after the 49ers’ head coach.
While Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers defeated the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday, a horse bearing his name galloped to win a race by two lengths at Hollywood Park Racetrack.
Harbaugh (the horse) won the fifth race of the day with ease. He shot out of the gate and held onto the lead for the entire race.
The 49ers’ coach is a race fan, so he might appreciate the effort. He is the co-owner of Panther racing, which is an IndyCar series team, but he has no official affiliation with the horse.
Their only really connection — besides the name — is that Harbaugh was foaled (horse lingo for born) in 2011, the same year Jim was named head coach of the 49ers. The horse’s previous owners, Kretz Racing, were huge 49ers fans, which explains the name. After Harbaugh’s second career race, he was claimed by new owners, though.
Harbaugh has amassed $40,250 in career earnings while winning two of his four career races. Meanwhile, the human Harbaugh is on the third year of his five-year, $25 million contract, and is likely to get an extension in the offseason.
The 49ers’ coach is much slower, but currently has the horse beat in popularity and earnings, of course.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Kevin Durant shows his MVP self in Warriors' Game 3 win vs. Clippers
- Warriors find the focus that's eluded them in clobbering of Clippers
- Kevin Durant goes off for 38 points in Warriors' Game 3 win vs. Clippers
- Sharks escape elimination with dominant Game 5 win over Golden Knights
- Sharks keep emotions in check, season alive in Game 5 win vs. Vegas
- Missing Teen Feared Drowned in Half Moon Bay
- Shot of the Game: Kevin Durant makes ridiculous and-one vs. Clippers
- Warriors had 'a pretty good formula' in runaway win over Clippers in Game 3
- Molting Elephant Seal Draws Spectators at SF Aquatic Park
- Warriors Start, Finish Strong to Take Game 3 Over Clippers
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|