Dec 16, 2013, 10:02 AM PDT
Welcome to A case of the Mondays. There’s always a lot going on during the weekend. If you weren’t lucky enough to spend the past two days on the couch, you can catch up on the top five sports items you may have missed here.
The Buccaneers defense proved to be much more porous, as Davis caught five passes for 79 yards and a touchdown. Right before colliding with the wall, Davis caught his 12th touchdown of the season. According to 49ers Insider Matt Maiocco, Davis is the first tight end in NFL history with two years of 12 or more touchdown catches in a season.
More importantly, Maiocco also found out what led to Davis’ collision with the wall.
“I didn’t know it was that close,” Davis said. “I didn’t know their wall was right there. Just made the play, and when I looked up, the wall was right there. “(It) just knocked the wind out of me a little bit.”
No. 2 – Field of Dreams: “If you build it, they will come.” If only it was that easy. The City of Oakland and MANICA Architecture released new renderings of an Oakland Athletics stadium at Howard Terminal. The waterfront ballpark would basically stare directly across the Bay at AT&T Park, but Lew Wolff and the A’s ownership group are reportedly unimpressed. Sure, they can draw up fancy images all they want, but a new A’s ballpark will remain nothing more than a dream for a long, long time.
It turns out that Cespedes’ victory in the Home Run Derby was the most tweeted moment of the year. That’s pretty cool for Cespedes, but sad for baseball, as the most impactful social media moment didn’t even happen in, you know, an actual baseball game.
(He also would have won the Batflip of the Year award if one existed.)
No. 4 – Somebody call the wambulance: Good sportsmanship went by the wayside in NFL Week 15, as several superstars acted like spoiled toddlers that unwrapped a gift only to find a pink nightmare of a bunny costume.
New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady dropped an s-bomb before abruptly storming off the podium, Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Desean Jackson had a tantrum on the sidelines, and Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant walked out on his team before the game ended. At least those guys didn’t have their Christmas ruined by Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan. Bah humbug.
No. 5 – Seahawks’ shutout costs Washington car dealership over $400,000: Jet Chevrolet, a Washington car dealership, had a ridiculous amount of money riding on the Seahawks on Sunday. The Seahawks won 23-0, but the car dealership still paid dearly. The dealership’s owner offered 12 different customers $35,000 each if the Seahawks shutout the New York Giants. Well, the Seahawks did it, and now the dealership has to explain how they lost $420,000 to their insurance company.
Three to see:
If you’ve made it this far, clearly you have some time on your hands. Here are three stories that you simply must see:
— It’s highly unlikely that Violator and Gorilla Rilla consider themselves “like Gleeks.” I’m sure they appreciate the sentiment, though.
— Frank G and Jay Z.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Matt Cain to match up to $50k in donations for Make-A-Wish
- Iguodala, Curry name-dropped in Kevin Hart rap video
- Ever wonder how the Giants chalk their infield?
- Why a Steelers 2-time Super Bowl champ was in Oakland fighting diabetes
- Newsom to Ask PG&E to Pay Back Those Affected by Shutoffs
- California Regulator Sanctions PG&E Over Power Shutoffs
- Zay Jones pushing hard to learn Raiders offense, make instant impact
- George Kittle knows why Jimmy Garoppolo threw five picks vs. 49ers defense
- Warriors vs. Lakers live stream: How to watch NBA preseason game online
- 49ers' George Kittle, Joe Staley know how handsome Jimmy Garoppolo is
- Jerry Rice believes 49ers could play in Super Bowl after 5-0 start
- Napa Man Wins Weigh-Off With 2,175-Pound Pumpkin
- Patrick Marleau thanks Sharks fans for warm welcome back to San Jose
- Source: Giants interested in Cubs' Will Venable for managerial opening
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|