Dec 30, 2013, 10:47 AM PST
Welcome to A case of the Mondays. There’s always a lot going on during the weekend. If you weren’t lucky enough to spend the past two days on the couch, you can catch up on the top five sports items you may have missed here.
No. 1 – Seahawks fans’ photobomb fail: On Saturday, a group of Seattle Seahawks fans decided to photobomb a pro-49ers billboard located on their turf. A news crew was even on the scene to document the moment. What ended up happening left the “12th Man” with egg on their collective faces.
The billboard featured an image representing the 49ers’ five Lombardi Trophies, but suddenly changed to read, “Superbowl Fail, Touchdown Fail, Photobomb Fail” as the fans gathered in front of it.
The timing of this prank is almost too good to be true. Here’s the report from KOMO in Seattle.
Oh, by the way, the Bay Area also completed a clean sweep of Arizona this weekend.
No. 2 – “Your” Fired: The Washington Redskins, Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Detroit Lions have all fired their head coach. “Black Monday” is upon us. It appears Oakland Raiders coach Dennis Allen is safe for now.
“I expect to be back, and I’m looking forward to the opportunity to come back,” said Allen, after the Raiders’ sixth consecutive loss.
Fortunately for Allen, his career status isn’t determined by the uneducated fan that held up a “Your Fired” sign at the Oakland Coliseum on Sunday.
No. 3 – Just For Kicks: The Golden State Warriors overcame a 17-point deficit, won their fifth consecutive game, and gave one lucky kid a memory that will last a lifetime.
Stephen Curry scored a team-high 29 points, but didn’t stop working when the final buzzer sounded in overtime. After the game, he found a youngster in the crowd wearing a Warriors shirt and gave the kid his shoes.
The Warriors’ 108-104 win against the Cleveland Cavaliers opened a seven-game road trip. They will have traveled 8,300 miles by the end of their trip. Hopefully Curry brought a lot of shoes.
No. 4 – 100: Every professional athlete will tell you they don’t think about milestone moments. But a young player pressing before hitting a certain scoring mark is an all-too-common occurrence. San Jose Sharks center Logan Couture is the latest example. He scored his 100th career goal on Sunday to snap a career-high 11-game scoring drought.
The milestone moment naturally came as a big relief to Couture. Sharks Insider Kevin Kurz notes that Couture reached 100 goals in just 271 games played. Jonathan Cheechoo is the only Sharks player to reach 100 goals in less games (246).
“It’s special. It’s a big number,” Couture said. “I was stuck on 99 for a while, which kind of sucked. But, it’s definitely special and one I’ll remember.”
The Sharks made sure Couture had the puck waiting for him in the dressing room.
No. 5 – Selfie Suspect: It’s too bad America’s Dumbest Criminals was cancelled. Oakland Police may have caught a break while looking for an armed robbery suspect. After two men armed with handguns robbed a woman of her purse and cellphone, one of the suspects took a selfie with the stolen phone. The photo must have shown up on her photo stream, as police now have it in their possession and have released the image. They are offering $2,500 for information leading to an arrest.
Three to see:
If you’ve made it this far, clearly you have some time on your hands. Here are three stories that you simply must see:
– The Raiders haven’t been too successful on the football field this season, but they have been a huge factor in the community. The Raider Nation is raising money to help a girl that was hit by a stray bullet while in her living room. NBC Bay Area has the heart-warming story.
– That Shark (or dolphin) photo is pretty cool. But it’s not the greatest photo ever taken. BEHOLD!
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Betcha' didn't know this about NFL kickers
- You can bring home Candlestick Park seats for $649 a pair
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- Letter to the editor about Seahawks crowd noise sparks internet firestorm
- Sharks recall Tennyson; Burish assigned to Worcester
- Report: Giants haven't made final offer to Sandoval
- 49ers to use interchangeable nickel backs
- Shot of the Game: Wingels nets short-handed goal vs. Coyotes
- Rewind: Offense improves, but mistakes still burning Sharks
- Pacquiao dominates Algieri in 12-round unanimous decision
- Instant Replay: Sharks fall to Coyotes in shootout
- Ray Ratto's Top 25 college football rankings: Week 13
- Duke beats Stanford, Randle for Coaches vs. Cancer title
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for suspended Voynov
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|