Dec 30, 2013, 4:38 PM PDT
Seahawks fans were stunned when they attempted to photobomb a pro-49ers billboard. As the 12th Man gathered to take a photo in front of a digital billboard that was paid for by a group of 49ers Faithful, the image switched to read, “Superbowl Fail, TD Fail, Photobomb Fail.”
How did the 49ers fans execute this elaborate prank? As Seattle fans organized their massive photobomb, the fans behind the 49ers billboard effort were watching and waiting.
“One big reason we used a digital board, you can change images at any time from a computer,” organizer Aasheesh Shravah explained in an email. “We told the programmer to put in the new images at exactly 2:15 p.m., I think their event started at two. Before anyone got to take any ‘photobombing’ pics, we changed it up on them.”
It turns out the 12th Man had to travel about 27 miles from the stadium to make the attempt. The billboard is located on Interstate 5 in Milton, Washington.
“They messed with the wrong fans,” Shravah added.
This elaborate trolling between fan bases may all seems sort of petty and childish, but it has actually been good for both the San Francisco and Seattle communities.
The 49ers fan group raised over $11,000 on their GoFundMe page and only needed $7,000 for the billboard. They’re donating the remaining $4,000 to Seattle Children’s Hospital. When the 12th Man raised money to fly a banner over Candlestick Park, they donated the excess funds to Wounded Warrior Project.
Another Seahawks fan group has followed suit and raised over $14,000 for UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital and Seattle Children’s Hospital. Only this time, they are raising the money without a goofy catch. Both 49ers and Seahawks fans have been making steady donations to the account. Yup. You read that right. 49ers and Seahawks fans are actually working together for good.
The more attention the rivalry gets, the more money that is donated. Imagine how much money will be raised if these two fan bases go head-to-head in the postseason.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Field of Links: Dodgers' disrespectful dunk, Coco's many handshakes, Giants rookies strip down
- Ever wonder what MLB players talk about at 1B?
- Steph Curry explains his new flavored mouthguards
- Sharks show their toughness in Saturday night bout with Islanders
- Sharks lay the hammer on Islanders on 'Los Tiburones Night'
- Watch Rajon Rondo punch Chris Paul in Lakers-Rockets NBA brawl
- Shot of the Game: Brent Burns scores his first goal of the season
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in San Jose's 4-1 win over the Islanders
- Brent Burns' first goal of the season sounds even better in Spanish
- 'GOL LOS TIBURONES DE SAN JOSE!' Joonas Donskoi give Sharks a 2-1 lead
- Watch the Sharks' goals vs. Islanders on 'Los Tiburones Night' in Spanish
- Sharks fan catches puck while on the phone
- Tiempo de Timo: Meier scores for Sharks on 'Los Tiburones Night'
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|