Dec 30, 2013, 4:38 PM PDT
Seahawks fans were stunned when they attempted to photobomb a pro-49ers billboard. As the 12th Man gathered to take a photo in front of a digital billboard that was paid for by a group of 49ers Faithful, the image switched to read, “Superbowl Fail, TD Fail, Photobomb Fail.”
How did the 49ers fans execute this elaborate prank? As Seattle fans organized their massive photobomb, the fans behind the 49ers billboard effort were watching and waiting.
“One big reason we used a digital board, you can change images at any time from a computer,” organizer Aasheesh Shravah explained in an email. “We told the programmer to put in the new images at exactly 2:15 p.m., I think their event started at two. Before anyone got to take any ‘photobombing’ pics, we changed it up on them.”
It turns out the 12th Man had to travel about 27 miles from the stadium to make the attempt. The billboard is located on Interstate 5 in Milton, Washington.
“They messed with the wrong fans,” Shravah added.
This elaborate trolling between fan bases may all seems sort of petty and childish, but it has actually been good for both the San Francisco and Seattle communities.
The 49ers fan group raised over $11,000 on their GoFundMe page and only needed $7,000 for the billboard. They’re donating the remaining $4,000 to Seattle Children’s Hospital. When the 12th Man raised money to fly a banner over Candlestick Park, they donated the excess funds to Wounded Warrior Project.
Another Seahawks fan group has followed suit and raised over $14,000 for UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital and Seattle Children’s Hospital. Only this time, they are raising the money without a goofy catch. Both 49ers and Seahawks fans have been making steady donations to the account. Yup. You read that right. 49ers and Seahawks fans are actually working together for good.
The more attention the rivalry gets, the more money that is donated. Imagine how much money will be raised if these two fan bases go head-to-head in the postseason.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- The story behind the huge A's 'STAY' mural in Oakland
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- A case of the Mondays: A's clinch, Giants see 'Exit Sandman', 49ers a hot mess
- TBT: Canseco and Bonds become the first two 40/40 club members
- A's right fielder Josh Reddick channels Brad Pitt
- WrestleMania XXXI results from Levi's Stadium
- Rewind: Sharks show some fight as they close out long road trip
- What they’re saying: WrestleMania XXXI at Levi’s Stadium
- Instant Replay: Sharks battle, but fall to Pens in shootout
- Seahawks bring back DL Demarcus Dobbs
- Ownage is ownage, and history favors West-routing Warriors
- Posey leads Giants to win over Dodgers
- Final Four set: Three No. 1's and Tom Izzo
- Graveman goes into 7th inning, A's beat Brewers 7-0
- Can Kaepernick make necessary adjustments? Warner answers
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|