Jan 2, 2014, 10:15 AM PDT
The Green Bay Packers still have over 5,000 tickets available for Sunday’s postseason game against the San Francisco 49ers. The Packers have sold out the last 319 games, but they are being forced to file for a 24-hour extension in hopes of preventing a local television blackout in Wisconsin. Could Packers fans be discouraged because the 49ers are 3-0 against them under Jim Harbaugh? Is it because the weather is expected to be brutal? Perhaps not.
It’s a league-wide trend.
The Cincinnati Bengals and Indianapolis Colts also have plenty of seats available for their Wild Card round matchups. Only the Philadelphia Eagles have sold out their first-round playoff game. The Bengals and Colts have also been granted an extension.
— The Stanford Cardinal had a chance to win the 100th Rose Bowl. Down four points with 1:46 to play, the Cardinal had to convert on a critical fourth-and-one play. Instead of giving the ball to workhorse running back Tyler Gaffney, coach David Shaw elected to attempt to trick Michigan State by giving the ball to fullback Ryan Hewitt, who was stuffed. The Spartans may have stopped Stanford to win the Grandaddy of Them All, but couldn’t couldn’t complete the gatorade bath.
— New Year’s Day was bittersweet for San Jose Shark fans. The good: Joe Pavelski was named to the USA Olympic team. The bad: Tomas Hertl could miss six to nine weeks after undergoing surgery. Sharks Insider Kevin Kurz got insight from a former NHL trainer with knowledge of Hertl’s type of injury.
“Usually, a PCL repair or reconstruction is about the same rehab time as an ACL reconstruction. If they truly reconstructed and fixed it, it’s a six to nine month process.”
— The Golden State Warriors ended 2013 with a six-game win streak. They are taking on the two-time defending champs for their first game of the new year. Watch the below video to find out if stopping LeBron James was one of their New Year’s resolutions.
We resolve to continue to bring you the most entertaining links. Enjoy.
Field of Links:
— This is a couple of days old, but an entertaining click: Michael Crabtree mic’d up during the game against the Cardinals.
— SHARK-ALACHE: Some people have a lot of time on their hands during the holidays.
— When videoboming goes horribly wrong: Watch this Red Wings fan fail.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- TBT: Giants take on outfielder Michael Morse and his epic '80s walk-up song
- Stephen and Seth Curry bring their sibling rivalry to the NBA
- Livingston on Kerr: 'He’s our leader ... somebody that we count on'
- New Raiders RB Hood modeled game after Marshawn, wants to learn from Lynch
- Lynch: TE McDonald to return to 49ers after being on trade block
- Lynch: 49ers expected to pick up Ward's fifth-year option
- A's Notes: Date for Sonny Gray's first start of season set
- Raiders select DT Treyvon Hester in seventh round of 2017 NFL Draft
- Raiders select RB Elijah Hood in seventh round of 2017 NFL Draft
- Cal Fire Rescues Man Who Fell Into Gilroy Well
- Giants lineup: Nunez in right field against Padres
- People's Climate March Draws Hundreds Across Bay Area
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|