Jan 3, 2014, 2:57 PM PDT
It could be the coldest game in NFL history, but San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee and Green Bay Mayor James Schmitt are spreading warm and fuzzy feelings by making a friendly wager.
If the 49ers win the playoff game on Sunday against the Packers at Lambeau Field, Mayor Lee will receive Beerntsen’s Chocolates and kringle from O&H Bakery. For those unfamiliar, kringle is a Scandinavian pastry and the official dessert of the state of Wisconsin.
Mayor Lee is wagering Ghirardelli chocolate and a dozen of Bob’s Donuts. The loser will also wear the opposing team’s hat while reading to local school children. Fortunately, no cheesehead hats are involved.
Mayor Lee announced the wager on the his web page. The release contained some smack talk between both politicians. The Mayor of San Francisco seems awfully confident.
“History repeats itself. Last year, the Niners beat the Packers to open the regular season, and then the Niners beat the Packers to advance in the Playoffs,” said Mayor Lee. “This year, the Niners beat the Packers to open the regular season, and I have every reason to believe that, once again, Red & Gold will prevail over Green & Gold, and the Niners will beat Green Bay again to continue their Quest for Six!”
Mayor Schmitt’s smack talk didn’t make quite as much sense, geographically speaking.
“The Packers are on a roll right now and will continue that roll over the Golden Gate Bridge and over the 49ers,” said Mayor Schmitt. “We look forward to a Packers win.”
If the Packers rolled over the Golden Gate Bridge on Friday, they’d see that San Francisco City Hall is lit up with red and gold lights to honor the 49ers. Both Mayors are encouraging the fans of their respective cities to treat each other with class and dignity.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Western Watch: Grizzlies pull away to beat Bobcats
- Western Watch: Clippers top Hawks for seventh straight win
- Instant Replay: Sharks dominate Canadiens in 4-0 win
- Broncos eliminated by Gonzaga in WCC quarterfinal
- Report: Hakeem Nicks open to a one-year deal
- Cal edges Colorado 66-65 in overtime
- Vogelsong struggles as Mariners rout Giants
- Giants notes: Morse and Pence stalled by injuries, etc.
- A's score one against Anderson, lose to Rockies 5-4
- Vogelsong roughed up by Mariners
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|cinderellafellajoe on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
- Seahawks dominate jersey sales with Kap and 49ers finishing third
- There’s a Golden State Warriors sport coat
- Field of Links: Sharks chomp Penguins, Klay’s best friend, high school student taking NFL cheerleader to prom
- Lincecum swaps uniforms with much larger teammate
- Field of Links: 2Pac look-alike at Warriors game, Danville teacher asks Will Ferrell to Senior Prom