Jan 6, 2014, 5:00 PM PDT
The Oakland Athletics are hiring people to run in their Hall of Fame Mascot Race. If you love sweating profusely, being taunted by fans, and living in fear that you may fall on your face in front of thousands of people, then this job is for you.
All kidding aside, the job is a lot harder than it looks, but it’s actually pretty fun.
The costumes weigh around 50 pounds and stand about 10 feet tall. They are very top-heavy, which makes starting, stopping, and turning a tricky proposition. The A’s introduced the race featuring cartoonish likenesses of A’s legends Rickey Henderson, Rollie Fingers, and Dennis Eckersley during the 2013 season. The big head mascots were originally going to be used for special events, but the fans liked the race so much that it became a daily occurrence.
Now they need to meet the demand.
The A’s job listing asks for people that always display a high energy, enthusiastic, professional, and friendly attitude. They were willing to waive those requirements when Field of Teams ran in the race (and lost).
Sprinting from left field to right field is pretty hard with limited visibility and a 35-pound head bouncing around on your shoulders. As a result, applicants must be over 18 and in excellent physical condition. The job listing is pretty funny.
Here are some of the necessary qualifications:
• Must have ability to run a minimum of 250 yards in a 50-pound costume.
• Must have ability to perform and entertain while wearing a 50-pound costume for extended periods of time.
• Cardio/respiratory endurance between 400-800 meters. Running skills will be tested.
• Must be able to lift and carry items up to 50 pounds.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Kings' 10 best free agency options to fill small forward vacancy
- NBA free agency 2019 predictions: Landing spots for marquee names
- VTA Train Involved in Collision With Car in San Jose
- 2 Bodies Discovered in Castro Valley Home: Sheriff's Office
- Sharks free-agency decisions: Will winger Gustav Nyquist stay or go?
- NBA free agency 2019: Ten shooters who can help Warriors next season
- California Seeks to Bring High-Tech to State Government
- NHL rumors: Sharks want to trade Aaron Dell to clear salary-cap space
- NBA free agency 2019: Ten shooters to keep 'janky' defenses at bay
- Warriors announce 2019 NBA Summer League roster, broadcast schedule
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|