Jan 6, 2014, 10:16 AM PST
Welcome to A case of the Mondays. There’s always a lot going on during the weekend. If you weren’t lucky enough to spend the past two days on the couch, you can catch up on the top five sports items you may have missed here.
No. 1 – Cold equals ratings gold: A record number of people watched the San Francisco 49ers last-second win over the Green Bay Packers on Sunday. The 49ers-Packers game was the highest-rated Wild Card game to ever air on Fox. The ratings spike can’t be attributed to people in Green Bay staying home to watch the game. Despite a blackout scare, Lambeau Field drew a record crowd of 77,525 fans.
[RELATED: Kap’s arms, legs propel 49ers past Packers]
Last year’s playoff meeting between the Packers and 49ers in San Francisco was the lowest-rated divisional playoff game. Maybe the crazy weather piqued the interest of the national audience.
No. 2 – Woooooooooooo!: The 49ers enlisted help from a styling, profiling, limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheeling and dealing son of a gun on Saturday. Wrestling legend Ric Flair visited the team during a meeting in Green Bay.
Fortunately, the appearance was recorded. The 49ers even played Flair’s entrance music upon arrival. Epic.
No. 3 – Alley-OOPS: While the 49ers played in sub-zero temperatures, the Golden State Warriors stayed ridiculously hot. The Dubs’ full squad won their ninth game in a row and pulled into a first place tie in the Pacific Division.
Just how good are things going for the Warriors? A mistake during an alley-oop became their most amazing highlight of the evening. The play occurred when Stephen Curry accidentally banked his pass off the backboard before Andrew Bogut threw it down for a one-handed jam.
No. 4 – BOLO: YEEEEEEEEHAAAAWWWW! San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers is single-handedly bringing the bolo tie back. Check out Rivers after the Chargers pulled off an upset win over the Cincinnati Bengals.
Rivers also wore a celebratory bolo tie after beating the Denver Broncos and the Kansas City Chiefs.
N0. 5 – Hot Tub Tailgate Machine: The Philadelphia Eagles may have lost to the New Orleans Saints on Saturday, but their fans were real winners.
Check out the legendary tailgating technique being used by these innovative Eagles fans. The fans in the photo managed to rig a hot tub to the back of a trailer. Two of the three guys in the tub actually stayed in the tub for the game.
It’s too bad their hot tub isn’t a time machine, they’d probably love to see their Eagles get a second chance after losing 26-24.
Three to see:
If you’ve made it this far, clearly you have some time on your hands. Here are three stories that you simply must see:
— Phil Dawson’s game-winning kick was nearly blocked. The Packers were flagged on the play, though.
— Two Sacramento Kings fans were big winners on Saturday. Congrats to the newly-engaged couple. Unfortunately, the Kings lost 113-103 to the Charlotte Bobcats.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- VIDEO: SF Batkid saves Giants' mascot Lou Seal from Penguin
- Field of Links: Dodgers' disrespectful dunk, Coco's many handshakes, Giants rookies strip down
- Former Cal Bear Jaylen Brown holds heavy heart in win over Warriors
- Khalil Mack wants to be Raider for life: 'That’s a no-brainer for me'
- A's Hire Design Firms For Proposed New Baseball Stadium
- Awards season reminds us how far Giants fell in 2017
- Five Men Sue San Jose Police, City For Gay Sting Operation
- Steinle Trial: Jurors Can Consider 1st-Degree Murder Verdict
- UC Regents Chastise System President's ‘Poor Judgment’
- First New Muni Train Goes Into Service in San Francisco
- Escaped 'Psychopath' Explains Why He Fled Hawaii Hospital
- Tesla Unveils Plans For Electric Semi, New Roadster
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|