Jan 6, 2014, 2:41 PM PDT
Ric Flair must have left his heart in San Francisco.
The legendary professional wrestler is a native of Charlotte, North Carolina, but spent much of his illustrious career on the road. On Saturday, the self-proclaimed styling, profiling, limousine-riding, jet-flying, kiss-stealing, wheeling and dealing son of a gun made a surprise appearance for the San Francisco 49ers in Wisconsin.
“Ric Flair’s heart is with the 49ers all the way to the end,” said the eccentric WWE Hall of Fame inductee during the visit.
Flair’s support of the 49ers doesn’t sit well with Carolina Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith, who even owns a trademark Ric Flair robe. Flair used to be a Panthers season ticket holder, so Smith feels betrayed, especially since the 49ers and Panthers meet in the divisional round of the postseason on Sunday. Check out this tweet from Tom Sorensen of the Charlotte Observer.
Who’d have thought a retired wrestler would help ratchet up the feud between two NFL franchises?
On Monday, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh explained that it was defensive end Justin Smith’s idea to bring in Flair. After Smith made a comment during the week about how great it would be to hear from Flair, 49ers vice president of football operations Jeff Ferguson and the support staff got ahold of the WWE legend and locked down the appearance.
“It was cool,” Harbaugh said. “It got the red blood pumping the night before the game, which was good.”
During the visit, Flair claimed that he loves the 49ers and hates the Dallas Cowboys. He even mentioned how excited he was to finally meet Joe Montana.
The Panthers beat the 49ers 10-9 in San Francisco in Week 10. As Flair often says, “To be the man, you’ve got to beat the man.” The 49ers will have a lot to prove against Smith and the Panthers. Fortunately, they’ve already found a way to get under the Panthers’ skin. Maybe the 49ers’ new relationship with WWE is more beneficial than originally thought.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Kevin Durant shows his MVP self in Warriors' Game 3 win vs. Clippers
- Even in victory, Warriors still in search of something that's eluded them
- Kevin Durant goes off for 38 points in Warriors' Game 3 win vs. Clippers
- Sharks escape elimination with dominant Game 5 win over Golden Knights
- Sharks keep emotions in check, season alive in Game 5 win vs. Vegas
- Missing Teen Feared Drowned in Half Moon Bay
- Shot of the Game: Kevin Durant makes ridiculous and-one vs. Clippers
- Warriors had 'a pretty good formula' in runaway win over Clippers in Game 3
- Molting Elephant Seal Draws Spectators at SF Aquatic Park
- Warriors Start, Finish Strong to Take Game 3 Over Clippers
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|