Field of Links: Warriors look to stay hot in frigid Wisconsin, Surgery for Couture, Vonn to miss Olympics
Jan 7, 2014, 7:43 AM PDT
The San Francisco 49ers are still thawing out after braving the elements on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field, and now the Golden State Warriors are in Wisconsin to take on the Milwaukee Bucks. Fortunately, they play indoors.
Jackson is a smart man. Catching a Colin Kaepernick pass in normal conditions looks painful enough on the hands and fingers.
— Speaking of the Dubs, they’re riding a season-high nine-game winning streak and the man who coined the term “Full Squad” is bringing home an individual award. David Lee was named Western Conference Player of the Week.
— San Jose Sharks center Logan Couture is expected to miss the next three to four weeks after right hand surgery, writes Sharks insider Kevin Kurz. The Sharks already have several players on the injured list, but Couture is certainly the toughest to replace. The Sharks wrap up a three-game road trip against the Nashville Predators on Tuesday night.
— A star Olympian is also on the shelf. Lindsey Vonn won’t be competing in the upcoming Winter Olympics. The U.S. skier made the announcement on her Facebook page early Tuesday morning. Vonn, 29, is recovering from injuries to her right knee. She would have been one of the biggest stars competing in Sochi. Here’s her announcement:
I am devastated to announce that I will not be able to compete in Sochi. I did everything I possibly could to somehow get strong enough to overcome having no ACL but the reality has sunk in that my knee is just too unstable to compete at this level. I’m having surgery soon so that I can be ready for the World Championships at home in Vail next February. On a positive note, this means there will be an additional spot so that one of my teammates can go for gold. Thank you all so much for all of the love and support. I will be cheering for all of the Olympians and especially team USA!
Field of Links:
— You’ve done it, internet. You’ve finally found something that makes our friend Ray Ratto giddy! *huge “Mission Accomplished” banner unfurls from the side of the USS Hornet*
— Check out this Packers fan’s epic meltdown during the 49ers’ win. (Language NSFW)
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- TBT: Giants take on outfielder Michael Morse and his epic '80s walk-up song
- Stephen and Seth Curry bring their sibling rivalry to the NBA
- Memorial Pays Tribute to Children Killed in Alameda County
- NBC Bay Area Evictions Investigation Leads to Public Hearing
- 'The Kid' Arroyo continues wildly impressive first week with Giants
- DNA Test Requires Users to Give Up Rights
- Samardzija breaks down late-inning pitches vs Padres, overall progress
- Raiders Bolster Defense on Day 2 of NFL Draft
- Vanderdoes out to 'prove people wrong,' show Raiders his very best
- 49ers Nab QB in Third Round of NFL Draft
- Lawn Landfill at Mission Dolores Park in San Francisco
- Bochy on Arroyo's early power: 'Good to see the way he's letting it go'
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|