Jan 7, 2014, 5:39 PM PDT
The San Francisco 49ers will have revenge on their minds when they take on the Carolina Panthers on Sunday, but San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee and Charlotte Mayor Patrick Cannon are keeping the peace with a friendly wager in advance of the postseason matchup.
Mayor Lee is wagering Boudin sourdough bread and Ghirardelli chocolates, while Mayor Cannon is offering up Carolina’s finest barbecue pulled pork. In addition to the treats, the leader from the losing city will wear the opponent’s hat and team colors while mentoring children from the Big Brothers Big Sisters program during the U.S Conference of Mayors.
[REWIND: Panthers 10, 49ers 9]
Mayor Lee even posted some political smack talk on his website.
“The 49ers are firing on all cylinders – the defense is playing at a whole new level and the offense is really clicking,” said Mayor Lee in a release. “I fully expect to place a Niners cap on Mayor Cannon’s head later this month when we get together to mentor our young people and teach them what it means to share the good values of sportsmanship and leadership.”
Mayor Lee is understandably confident after winning his bet with Green Bay Mayor James Schmitt, who is sending a care package of Beerntsen’s chocolates and kringle from O&H Bakery. The 49ers defeated the Packers 23-20 in the wild card round of the NFL postseason. Mayor Schmitt will also have to wear a 49ers cap while reading to kids in Green Bay.
[RELATED: The story behind Harbaugh’s hug and kiss]
If the 49ers continue to win in the postseason, there will be plenty of snacks available at San Francisco City Hall.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- 49ers' Joe Staley sympathizes with Antonio Brown's helmet complaints
- More Suspected Arson Fires in Downtown San Jose
- Raiders' Brown Files Another Grievance With NFL Over Helmet
- NFL rumors: Antonio Brown files second grievance with NFL over helmet issue
- 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo struggles mightily in 2019 preseason debut
- IN-GAME LIVE: 49ers vs. Broncos
- No Phones: San Mateo High Launches New Program For Students
- Why George Kittle's dad writes him a letter before every 49ers game
- How D'Angelo Russell impressed Warriors GM Bob Myers with his maturity
- Firefighters Battle Blaze in Sonoma County
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|