Jan 7, 2014, 1:10 PM PDT
Hunter Pence may appear gangly and slightly awkward on the baseball field, but he is one powerful dude. On Monday, a video was posted on his Instagram account that shows him pushing a car up a hill. The Jack Lalanne-esque feat of strength by the San Francisco Giants’ right fielder is a departure from the wacky type of instructional video that he posted last September.
Pence hit a career-high 27 home runs in 2013 and signed a five-year, $90 million contract at the conclusion of the season. It appears he is taking his offseason training regimen very seriously.
Pence played all 162 games for the Giants last year. Naturally, the role of a relief pitcher isn’t as physically demanding. With that in mind, Jeremy Affeldt took a much simpler approach to the Pence workout. He only pushed a toy car on a flat surface, but he really sells the intensity of the workout.
If you’re car breaks down on the side of the road, you’d better hope Pence finds you before Affeldt. Pence can push a car, but he might also make an effective tow-man. Check out the way he is sprinting while pulling this weighted sled. The reliable right fielder stole a career-high 22 bases last season, and appears to be boosting his breakaway speed.
A glimpse into the offseason training of the Giants’ star is a special treat for the fans. It’s not often you get to see the behind-the-scenes work that leads to success on the field.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Steve Kerr explains how Steph Curry has to be better in particular area
- Molting Elephant Seal Draws Spectators at SF Aquatic Park
- Why Raiders will play five straight games away from home in 2019 season
- Despite some improvements, Giants' Drew Pomeranz is off to a slow start
- Warriors enter Game 3 searching for 'killer instinct' they used to have
- Giants lose series to Nationals with 4-2 loss
- IPO Mania: Zoom, Pinterest Surge in Market Debuts
- Giants' Bruce Bochy, Brandon Belt frustrated by calls behind the plate
- Tempers flare as Giants' bats go quiet in loss to Nationals
- Corbin Earns 1st Win With Nationals, Beats Giants 4-2
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|