Jan 8, 2014, 1:48 PM PDT
The dunk cam is a social media trend that is growing in popularity. On Wednesday, Colin Kaepernick became the latest victim to go viral when he was posterized in the San Francisco 49ers locker room.
While Kaepernick was finishing up his media session, offensive lineman Alex Boone snuck into the scrum of reporters and slam dunked a ball into a trash can that was being held behind Kaepernick’s head by rookie Luke Marquardt. Comcast SportsNet photographer Keith Manglona noticed the act in progress and captured the setup and payoff of the prank.
According to Mindi Bach, the dunk was a playful act of revenge. On December 4, Kaepernick did his media session in front of Boone’s locker, forcing him out of the area while he was trying to get ready for practice. Here’s the photographic evidence of the offense:
The beauty of Boone’s version of the dunk is that it occurred with multiple cameras rolling. Most dunk cams only have one angle. Here’s an alternate angle of the dunk from Bay Area News Group columnist Cam Inman:
Here’s the dunk as seen through the eyes of KNBR director of social media Joe Hughes:
The 49ers have a very popular mini hoop in the locker room. Kaepernick isn’t the first player to get dunked on, but he is the first to suffer the fate while doing an interview. In fact, wide receiver Quinton Patton often posts dunk cam footage on his Instagram account. Kap may choose his interview locations more carefully going forward now that a precedent has been set.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Bruce Maxwell: Kneeling for anthem not 'disrespecting my country or my flag'
- Full Interview: Why Bruce Maxwell took knee during national anthem
- A's Catcher Becomes 1st MLB Player to Kneel for Anthem
- Madison Bumgarner, Gorkys Hernandez make statements in win over Dodgers
- Highlights: Giants' Panik, Crawford show off their gold leather vs Dodgers
- Bochy breaks down 'crisp' Bumgarner, Posey's game-winning throw
- Milo Flouts Cancellation of UC Berkeley's Free Speech Week
- Bumgarner Deals, Giants Do Enough to Beat Dodgers
- Sen. Sanders Boosts Health Care Plan in Bay Area
- Milo Yiannopoulos to March for Free Speech at UC Berkeley
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Rod Streater d…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Eric Sogard on…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|