Jan 9, 2014, 1:21 PM PDT
WOOOOOOOO(oops). Ric Flair is reportedly receiving death threats from Panthers fans because of his public support of the 49ers. As a result, he’ll be skipping Sunday’s divisional playoff game between the 49ers and Panthers. The news comes from Flair’s agent Melinda Morris Zanoni via WBTV.
“We know fans are passionate about their teams, but some of the choice language we have been receiving is scaring off our interns,” Zanoni said.
The Charlotte Observer is reporting that Flair also has an outstanding warrant for his arrest in Mecklenburg County, which might deter him from entering a stadium full of police officers.
The WWE legend is a native of North Carolina, and used to be a long-time Panthers season ticket holder. Fans are angry because he recently declared his love for the 49ers during a visit with the team in advance of their game against the Green Bay Packers.
Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith was angry that Flair switched teams. Apparently, so are the fans.
Death threats are nothing to take lightly, even for a 16-time heavyweight wrestling champion. Flair knows a thing or two about playing the heel role, though. The Nature Boy should be well-equipped to weather the storm until after the game.
It’s pretty ridiculous that fans are this upset with Flair. The retired wrestler’s money problems have been documented and he’d likely do a speech for any professional team that pays the right price.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Throwback Thursday: Tyson banned for biting Holyfield's ears
- Ever wonder what MLB players talk about at 1B?
- See the A's wives and girlfriends run miles for smiles
- Bay Area Air Quality Advisory Extended Through Friday
- Sharks vs. Sabres live stream: Watch NHL game online on MyTeams
- Water Main Break Prompts Street Closure in Alameda
- 49ers-Rams injury report: CB Jimmie Ward unlikely to play Sunday
- Jazz a revenge game for Jonas Jerebko? 'Don’t really care about them anymore'
- Richard Sherman explains why he's not disappointed teams aren't targeting him
- Marin-native Jared Goff addresses Bay Area-LA rivalry
- 'Amazon Go' Store Approved for SF's Financial District
- Sharks debuting new 3D helmet decal on Stealth Night
- Evaluating A's arbitration in 2018 MLB offseason: Liam Hendriks
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|