Jan 9, 2014, 1:21 PM PDT
WOOOOOOOO(oops). Ric Flair is reportedly receiving death threats from Panthers fans because of his public support of the 49ers. As a result, he’ll be skipping Sunday’s divisional playoff game between the 49ers and Panthers. The news comes from Flair’s agent Melinda Morris Zanoni via WBTV.
“We know fans are passionate about their teams, but some of the choice language we have been receiving is scaring off our interns,” Zanoni said.
The Charlotte Observer is reporting that Flair also has an outstanding warrant for his arrest in Mecklenburg County, which might deter him from entering a stadium full of police officers.
The WWE legend is a native of North Carolina, and used to be a long-time Panthers season ticket holder. Fans are angry because he recently declared his love for the 49ers during a visit with the team in advance of their game against the Green Bay Packers.
Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith was angry that Flair switched teams. Apparently, so are the fans.
Death threats are nothing to take lightly, even for a 16-time heavyweight wrestling champion. Flair knows a thing or two about playing the heel role, though. The Nature Boy should be well-equipped to weather the storm until after the game.
It’s pretty ridiculous that fans are this upset with Flair. The retired wrestler’s money problems have been documented and he’d likely do a speech for any professional team that pays the right price.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Sharks can quickly move on from Torres distraction
- Louisville campus police reviewing escort allegations
- Harden: Not knocking Steph, but 'I deserved the MVP' last year
- 49ers acquire Hodges from Vikings
- NFL will look at multiple relocation areas when owners meet
- Cosell: Kap 'difficult to watch,' 49ers QB 'seeing ghosts'
- River Cats unveil all-new Sactown alternate uniforms
- Matt Maiocco's 49ers CHAT transcript (10.6.15)
- Analysis: Kap's future with 49ers beyond '15 in serious doubt?
- Rookies Donskoi, DeMelo earn spots on Sharks' roster
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|