Case of the Mondays: Seahawks blocking 49ers fans, Curry’s crazy catch, King James rooting for 49ers
Jan 13, 2014, 10:11 AM PDT
Welcome to A case of the Mondays. There’s always a lot going on during the weekend. If you weren’t lucky enough to spend the past two days on the couch, you can catch up on the top five sports items you may have missed here.
No. 1 – Seahawks ticket scandal?: The story of how the Seahawks are blocking 49ers fans from attending the NFC Championship Game in Seattle became big news over the weekend. Tickets for the 49ers-Seahawks game went on sale Monday, but only to residents of the Pacific Northwest.
Many 49ers fans are offended and Bay Area media outlets are calling the move by the Seahawks a “controversial” decision. In reality, it’s a standard practice. The Denver Broncos are doing the exact same thing with tickets to the AFC Championship Game. They do this to prevent ticket scalpers from buying up all the seats and selling them on secondhand markets. There are still thousands of tickets available online. It’s really much ado about nothing.
No. 2 – Jim Harbaugh stole the show: The 49ers’ coach was a sight to behold as his team defeated the Panthers 23-10 on Sunday. He didn’t issue any postgame hugs or kisses to beat writers, but he did a pirouette on the sidelines and ran onto the field during the initially blown call on Vernon Davis’ touchdown reception.
In a particularly funny moment, Harbaugh had to be restrained by wide receiver Anquan Boldin before the officials determined that Davis did indeed make the catch with both feet inbounds. Harbaugh promises enthusiasm unknown to mankind, and he sure delivers. Most of the attention will go to Colin Kaepernick for stealing Cam Newton’s touchdown celebration, but the coach stole the show.
No. 3 – Is there anything Stephen Curry can’t do?: The Bay Area may have their next multi-sport star. After the Warriors’ 99-97 win over the Boston Celtics on Friday, Stephen Curry put on an Oakland Athletics hat and played a little stickball in the locker room. Curry hit the game-winning shot on the court, and made what looks like a game-saving catch off the court.
No. 4 – From ‘Kaepernicking’ to reporting: Speaking of duel threats, check out what Kaepernick did after the 49ers game. The young quarterback grabbed a pen and a notepad and hopped into the media scrum to help interview Boldin. Trust us, Colin. You’ll want to stick to football. It pays much better.
No. 5 – Ticker Proposal: Spirits were high after the 49ers win over the Panthers, but one Bay Area couple will remember Sunday for the rest of their lives. A fan used the ticker to propose to his girlfriend during 49ers Postgame Live on Comcast SportsNet. Here’s the tweet:
By the way, she said “Yes!”
Three to see:
If you’ve made it this far, clearly you have some time on your hands. Here are three stories that you simply must see:
— The Seattle Aquarium has a crab named Marshawn Pinch. What’s next? A lion at the San Francisco Zoo named Frank Roar?
— There may be a Skittles shortage in Seattle soon. The favorite candy of Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch is served with hamburgers, sprinkled on players after scoring, and even thrown into the end zone in bulk quantities.
— LeBron James is following in Ric Flair’s footsteps and hopping on the 49ers’ bandwagon.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Field of Links: Dodgers' disrespectful dunk, Coco's many handshakes, Giants rookies strip down
- Ever wonder what MLB players talk about at 1B?
- Steph Curry explains his new flavored mouthguards
- Sharks show their toughness in Saturday night bout with Islanders
- Sharks lay the hammer on Islanders on 'Los Tiburones Night'
- Watch Rajon Rondo punch Chris Paul in Lakers-Rockets NBA brawl
- Shot of the Game: Brent Burns scores his first goal of the season
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in San Jose's 4-1 win over the Islanders
- Brent Burns' first goal of the season sounds even better in Spanish
- 'GOL LOS TIBURONES DE SAN JOSE!' Joonas Donskoi give Sharks a 2-1 lead
- Watch the Sharks' goals vs. Islanders on 'Los Tiburones Night' in Spanish
- Sharks fan catches puck while on the phone
- Tiempo de Timo: Meier scores for Sharks on 'Los Tiburones Night'
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|