Jan 16, 2014, 1:52 PM PDT
The Harbaugh horse is set to make his Bay Area debut. With two wins in four career races, Harbaugh is one of eight horses entered in the $100,000 California Derby that takes place on Saturday at Golden Gate Fields.
Last month, Field of Teams told the story of the horse bearing the 49ers coach’s name, after he galloped to a huge win at Hollywood Park Racetrack.
The three-year-old horse was born the same year that Jim Harbaugh took over as head coach in San Francisco, and was given his name after the 49ers made it to the Super Bowl. The previous owners of Harbaugh, Kretz Racing, are big 49ers fans.
Coach Harbaugh may have won eight games in a row, but the colt with his name is considered a long shot to win the 1 1/16 mile race. According to Golden Gate Fields odds maker Steve Martinelli, Harbaugh is the co-fifth choice in the field of eight.
If you want to cheer on a Harbaugh on Saturday, before cheering on the 49ers on Sunday, the race takes place at 3:45 p.m., and it is the seventh race on a nine-race program.
Exit Stage Left (5-2)
Morally Bankrupt (15-1)
Argyle Cut (8-1)
Puppy Manners (10-1)
Royal Banker (3-1)
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Caltrain's Rail Grinding Project to Reduce Noise
- Woman Whose Wedding Ring Was Stolen in SF Just Wants It Back
- SJ Flood Victims to Face off Against Politicians at Meeting
- Two Iron Workers Injured at Facebook Construction Site
- Judge Drops Most Charges Against Suspect Shot by SF Officers
- Ann Coulter, UC Berkeley Clash Over Canceled Visit
- Manaea felt 'little sharp pain', but status of shoulder not immediately known
- Morse, Arroyo stun Dodgers, lift Giants to thrilling comeback win
- High School Fight in East Bay Leaves One Girl Seriously Hurt
- Did Giants rookie Arroyo even know he hit first career homer off the bat?
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|