Jan 16, 2014, 1:52 PM PDT
The Harbaugh horse is set to make his Bay Area debut. With two wins in four career races, Harbaugh is one of eight horses entered in the $100,000 California Derby that takes place on Saturday at Golden Gate Fields.
Last month, Field of Teams told the story of the horse bearing the 49ers coach’s name, after he galloped to a huge win at Hollywood Park Racetrack.
The three-year-old horse was born the same year that Jim Harbaugh took over as head coach in San Francisco, and was given his name after the 49ers made it to the Super Bowl. The previous owners of Harbaugh, Kretz Racing, are big 49ers fans.
Coach Harbaugh may have won eight games in a row, but the colt with his name is considered a long shot to win the 1 1/16 mile race. According to Golden Gate Fields odds maker Steve Martinelli, Harbaugh is the co-fifth choice in the field of eight.
If you want to cheer on a Harbaugh on Saturday, before cheering on the 49ers on Sunday, the race takes place at 3:45 p.m., and it is the seventh race on a nine-race program.
Exit Stage Left (5-2)
Morally Bankrupt (15-1)
Argyle Cut (8-1)
Puppy Manners (10-1)
Royal Banker (3-1)
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Bruce Maxwell: Kneeling for anthem not 'disrespecting my country or my flag'
- Full Interview: Why Bruce Maxwell took knee during national anthem
- A's Catcher Becomes 1st MLB Player to Kneel for Anthem
- Madison Bumgarner, Gorkys Hernandez make statements in win over Dodgers
- Highlights: Giants' Panik, Crawford show off their gold leather vs Dodgers
- Bochy breaks down 'crisp' Bumgarner, Posey's game-winning throw
- Milo Flouts Cancellation of UC Berkeley's Free Speech Week
- Bumgarner Deals, Giants Do Enough to Beat Dodgers
- Sen. Sanders Boosts Health Care Plan in Bay Area
- Milo Yiannopoulos to March for Free Speech at UC Berkeley
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Rod Streater d…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Eric Sogard on…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|