Jan 20, 2014, 11:24 AM PDT
The Batkid story officially has a happy ending. According to the Chronicle, a charitable couple has stepped up to pay the costs incurred by San Francisco while making Miles Scott’s dream come true.
Some people were outraged when they found out the city spent over $100,000 to create super hero-themed day for Batkid. They now officially have no reason to complain. Bay Area philanthropists John and Marcia Goldman gave Make-A-Wish a check for $105,000 to cover all of the costs.
Even without the sizable donation, the event was worth every penny. Over 10,000 people volunteered and the streets of San Francisco were lined with people as Batkid rescued a damsel in distress, thwarted a bank robbery attempt by the Riddler, and rescued San Francisco Giants mascot Lou Seal from the Penguin.
Scott, a five-year-old leukemia survivor, warmed the heart of the nation and even got a congratulatory message from President Obama after saving Gotham City. He was granted a key to the city and honored by San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee on the steps of City Hall.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- WATCH: Sharks Pregame Live
- Madson focused on his pitching, not his role in A's bullpen
- Cueto toys with young prospect in Giants minor league game
- Barricaded Man in Santa Clara Surrenders to Police
- San Jose Police Investigate Suspicious Death Near School
- Kerr expects minutes restriction when Durant first comes back to Warriors
- Steph Curry signs autographs for Jr. Road Warriors
- Steve Kerr congratulates Mission High for state basketball championship
- All In: Mayor Schaaf Pleads for Raiders to Stay in Oakland
- Kerr, Warriors in preliminary stages of planning for Durant's return
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|