Jan 20, 2014, 11:24 AM PDT
The Batkid story officially has a happy ending. According to the Chronicle, a charitable couple has stepped up to pay the costs incurred by San Francisco while making Miles Scott’s dream come true.
Some people were outraged when they found out the city spent over $100,000 to create super hero-themed day for Batkid. They now officially have no reason to complain. Bay Area philanthropists John and Marcia Goldman gave Make-A-Wish a check for $105,000 to cover all of the costs.
Even without the sizable donation, the event was worth every penny. Over 10,000 people volunteered and the streets of San Francisco were lined with people as Batkid rescued a damsel in distress, thwarted a bank robbery attempt by the Riddler, and rescued San Francisco Giants mascot Lou Seal from the Penguin.
Scott, a five-year-old leukemia survivor, warmed the heart of the nation and even got a congratulatory message from President Obama after saving Gotham City. He was granted a key to the city and honored by San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee on the steps of City Hall.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- With Warriors discussing the matter, Curry reaffirms White House stance
- Giants lineup: Hernandez leads off, Williamson in left to start series vs Dodgers
- $900K Worth of Jewelry Stolen in SF Auto Burglary: Police
- USGS: Magnitude 5.7 Quake Strikes off NorCal Coast
- Lackluster Response to Launch of iPhone 8, Apple Watch 3
- Injury report: CB Sean Smith questionable; Washington TE Reed's status uncertain
- Men 'Directed' Mentally Disabled Juvenile to Rob Women: SJPD
- 3 Men Hurt in San Jose Shooting and Stabbing
- Shanahan: Carradine could be heading to IR
- Milo: Free Speech Week at Berkeley is Not Canceled
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Rod Streater d…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Eric Sogard on…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sogard stopped…|