Jan 21, 2014, 1:49 PM PST
Basketball fans are about to see their favorite game differently. On January 24, the Sacramento Kings are planning to become the first professional sports team to broadcast live game angles through Google Glass.
While the Kings players take on the Indiana Pacers, unique first-person views will be provided by Kings mascot Slamson, the cheerleaders, and sideline reporters. The point of view angles will be shown on the jumbotron inside Sleep Train Arena and online.
The technology was developed by Silicon Valley software company CrowdOptic, and tested by the players on January 12.
This is a particularly exciting development. If this goes well, it could be a step toward fans actually seeing through the eyes of their favorite player during a live game. Imagine that.
“It is just a matter of time before Google Glass is an integral part of the fan experience of watching live sports,” Kings president Chris Granger said in a release. “We are very excited about the many future possibilities working with CrowdOptic.”
The technology exists that could forever change sports as we know it, and it is constantly getting better. While a Google Glass lens could possibly be built into the visor of a football helmet, it would probably be a tougher sell for basketball and baseball players, but imagine the possibilities.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Report: Goodell denies team in Los Angeles for 2015
- Chargers-49ers Matchup No. 1: Liuget vs. Iupati
- Report: Mystery team wins Jung-Ho Kang bidding for $5 million
- 49ers reward Jerod-Eddie for sticking around
- Cal beats Eastern Washington 78-67 for seventh straight win
- Harrison, No. 20 St John's rally past Saint Mary's
- Dodgers release P Brian Wilson
- Giants acquire 3B McGehee from Marlins
- Sharks face daunting upcoming schedule
- Report: Giants 'closing in' on deal for Marlins' McGehee
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|