Jan 21, 2014, 1:49 PM PDT
Basketball fans are about to see their favorite game differently. On January 24, the Sacramento Kings are planning to become the first professional sports team to broadcast live game angles through Google Glass.
While the Kings players take on the Indiana Pacers, unique first-person views will be provided by Kings mascot Slamson, the cheerleaders, and sideline reporters. The point of view angles will be shown on the jumbotron inside Sleep Train Arena and online.
The technology was developed by Silicon Valley software company CrowdOptic, and tested by the players on January 12.
This is a particularly exciting development. If this goes well, it could be a step toward fans actually seeing through the eyes of their favorite player during a live game. Imagine that.
“It is just a matter of time before Google Glass is an integral part of the fan experience of watching live sports,” Kings president Chris Granger said in a release. “We are very excited about the many future possibilities working with CrowdOptic.”
The technology exists that could forever change sports as we know it, and it is constantly getting better. While a Google Glass lens could possibly be built into the visor of a football helmet, it would probably be a tougher sell for basketball and baseball players, but imagine the possibilities.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Matt Cain to match up to $50k in donations for Make-A-Wish
- Iguodala, Curry name-dropped in Kevin Hart rap video
- Ever wonder how the Giants chalk their infield?
- Why a Steelers 2-time Super Bowl champ was in Oakland fighting diabetes
- Zay Jones pushing hard to learn Raiders offense, make instant impact
- Gov. Newsom to Ask PG&E to Provide 'Automatic Credit' to Those Affected by Outages
- George Kittle knows why Jimmy Garoppolo threw five picks vs. 49ers defense
- Warriors vs. Lakers live stream: How to watch NBA preseason game online
- 49ers' George Kittle, Joe Staley know how handsome Jimmy Garoppolo is
- Jerry Rice believes 49ers could play in Super Bowl after 5-0 start
- Napa Man Wins Weigh-Off With 2,175-Pound Pumpkin
- Patrick Marleau thanks Sharks fans for warm welcome back to San Jose
- Source: Giants interested in Cubs' Will Venable for managerial opening
- Steve Kerr jabs Warriors over lack of rebounding during preseason play
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|