Jan 21, 2014, 1:49 PM PST
Basketball fans are about to see their favorite game differently. On January 24, the Sacramento Kings are planning to become the first professional sports team to broadcast live game angles through Google Glass.
While the Kings players take on the Indiana Pacers, unique first-person views will be provided by Kings mascot Slamson, the cheerleaders, and sideline reporters. The point of view angles will be shown on the jumbotron inside Sleep Train Arena and online.
The technology was developed by Silicon Valley software company CrowdOptic, and tested by the players on January 12.
This is a particularly exciting development. If this goes well, it could be a step toward fans actually seeing through the eyes of their favorite player during a live game. Imagine that.
“It is just a matter of time before Google Glass is an integral part of the fan experience of watching live sports,” Kings president Chris Granger said in a release. “We are very excited about the many future possibilities working with CrowdOptic.”
The technology exists that could forever change sports as we know it, and it is constantly getting better. While a Google Glass lens could possibly be built into the visor of a football helmet, it would probably be a tougher sell for basketball and baseball players, but imagine the possibilities.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Overturned Tanker Truck on Hwy. 101 in San Martin
- Draymond Green returning to Warriors with aching finger, heavy heart
- Steph Curry takes jab at Michael Jordan for Hall of Fame comment
- HEADSTRONG: Charles Haley opens up on his bipolar disease, mental illness
- Bay Area rapper E-40 drops 49ers-themed song before game vs. Seahawks
- Raiders fans can dare to dream of Jon Gruden leading team to playoffs
- Former 49ers great Charles Haley tackles mental illness in HEADSTRONG
- Rebirth, Angst and the 'New Normal' of California Wildfires
- NFL Draft 2020: Where 49ers, Raiders would pick if season ended today
- San Quinn, Young Sight get you hyped for 49ers-Seahawks prime-time clash
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|