Jan 28, 2014, 2:56 PM PDT
Concussion-related issues have derailed Jahvid Best’s professional career and now he’s seeking damages. According to the Detroit Free Press, Best is suing the NFL and helmet manufacturer Riddell.
In the lawsuit that was filed on Tuesday in the Wayne County Circuit Court, Best’s attorney claims the NFL misrepresented, ignored, and concealed information pertaining to the risks associated with head injuries. They haven’t decided how much money they are seeking, but are asking for over $25,000, according to the paperwork.
The filing details Best’s brain injuries — both in college with the California Golden Bears and in the NFL with the Detroit Lions — and states that he is left with permanent damage. They claim the NFL is partly responsible for allowing him to enter the draft, even though the concussions he suffered in college were well-documented.
Best was selected with the 30th overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, but missed 26 games in his three seasons with the Lions. He was released on Jul. 13, 2013. The Lions aren’t named in the filing because Best has a worker’s-compensation claim against them.
Best’s concussion issues began in his junior year at Cal. He was concussed on Oct. 31, 2009 against Arizona State, and suffered a serious head injury on Nov. 7, 2009 against Oregon State when he was hit while attempting to leap into the end zone.
Despite the injuries, Best was drafted in the first round, but suffered another concussion during the preseason, just two carries into his NFL career. He ended up playing in 16 games during his rookie season, but missed the bulk of his second season and the entirety of the 2012 season as problems persisted.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Hayward Shooting Near School Sends Teen to Hospital: Police
- A's bring out the brooms, complete sweep of Yankees with 5-3 victory
- Roark, A's Beat Yankees to Complete Sweep
- Raiders playing on 80-yard field won't change Jon Gruden's evaluation
- Nathan Peterman has shot to make Raiders after impressing Jon Gruden again
- A's Prize Patrol surprises Jason Maddy, family with $5,000
- Raiders can't take much away from preseason Canada debacle vs. Packers
- CC Sabathia wanted to play for Giants, and it almost happened twice
- Watch A's Prize Patrol surprise lucky fan Jason M. with $5,000
- Jimmy Garoppolo 'worst practice quarterback we've had,' Patriots analyst says
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|