Jan 28, 2014, 2:56 PM PDT
Concussion-related issues have derailed Jahvid Best’s professional career and now he’s seeking damages. According to the Detroit Free Press, Best is suing the NFL and helmet manufacturer Riddell.
In the lawsuit that was filed on Tuesday in the Wayne County Circuit Court, Best’s attorney claims the NFL misrepresented, ignored, and concealed information pertaining to the risks associated with head injuries. They haven’t decided how much money they are seeking, but are asking for over $25,000, according to the paperwork.
The filing details Best’s brain injuries — both in college with the California Golden Bears and in the NFL with the Detroit Lions — and states that he is left with permanent damage. They claim the NFL is partly responsible for allowing him to enter the draft, even though the concussions he suffered in college were well-documented.
Best was selected with the 30th overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, but missed 26 games in his three seasons with the Lions. He was released on Jul. 13, 2013. The Lions aren’t named in the filing because Best has a worker’s-compensation claim against them.
Best’s concussion issues began in his junior year at Cal. He was concussed on Oct. 31, 2009 against Arizona State, and suffered a serious head injury on Nov. 7, 2009 against Oregon State when he was hit while attempting to leap into the end zone.
Despite the injuries, Best was drafted in the first round, but suffered another concussion during the preseason, just two carries into his NFL career. He ended up playing in 16 games during his rookie season, but missed the bulk of his second season and the entirety of the 2012 season as problems persisted.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Did you know there's a bowling alley inside AT&T Park?
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Pence bobblehead, R2D2 beanie highlight Giants promotional schedule
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- 49ers more willing to squeeze shoes of their top players
- Ackley blasts Mariners past Nationals 5-3
- Tigers fall to White Sox, tied with A's in AL Wild Card
- Cardinals rally past Cubs, tied with Giants in Wild Card
- Dodgers beat Padres 7-1, remain ahead of Giants in NL West
- Report: Former 49ers QB Smith lands big deal in KC
- Instant Replay: Sandoval, Pence clobber Brewers, Giants sweep
- Report: Former 49ers S Spillman to sign with Cowboys
- Down at half, Team USA rallies to beat Turkey 98-77
- Kazmir sputters, A's swept by Angels in 8-1 loss
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|