Feb 3, 2014, 10:30 AM PST
Welcome to A case of the Mondays. There’s always a lot going on during the weekend. If you weren’t lucky enough to spend the past two days on the couch, you can catch up on the top five sports items you may have missed here.
No. 1 – This one stings a bit: It just wasn’t your year, 49ers fans. That’s fine. It happens. While the nemesis Seattle Seahawks celebrate their first Super Bowl win, keep the following in mind: The 49ers roster will once again be stacked next year, and it’s Super Bowl 49.
It sure seems like it’s in the cards, but all of that probably doesn’t ease the searing pain in your eyes upon reading this tweet.
Cal stunned No. 1 Arizona with a 60-58 upset win after Justin Cobbs hit the game-winning shot.
The shot also shocked the fans in attendance, who rushed the court with 0.9 seconds still left on the game clock.
Cobbs, a senior, scored the Golden Bears’ final 12 points to snap the Wildcats 21-game win streak.
No. 3 – Red Hot Chili Raiders: Red Hot Chili Peppers’ frontman Anthony Kiedis didn’t put on a shirt until after the Super Bowl… and it was a Raiders shirt. It looks like the Raider Nation can claim another famous fan.
Joe Pavelski scored a shorthanded goal, but the highlight of the game definitely belonged to “Jumbo” Joe Thornton. Check out the juke move he used against Corey Crawford to win the shootout. Thornton’s goal or Cobbs’ shot might have been the best plays of the weekend… until this happened.
After Davion Berry from Weber State tied the game with three-pointer with two seconds left on the clock, Dylan Garrity desperately heaved the ball 75 feet to win the game. The reaction from the crowd is priceless.
Three to see:
If you’ve made it this far, clearly you have some time on your hands. Here are three stories that you simply must see:
— A 9/11 “truther” interrupted the Super Bowl MVP’s presser. Where’s security when you need them?
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Why Farhan Zaidi chose Scott Harris as Giants' new general manager
- 49ers activate Garrett Celek from PUP
- Overturned Tanker Truck on Hwy. 101 in San Martin
- Draymond Green returning to Warriors with aching finger, heavy heart
- Steph Curry takes jab at Michael Jordan for Hall of Fame comment
- HEADSTRONG: Charles Haley opens up on his bipolar disease, mental illness
- Bay Area rapper E-40 drops 49ers-themed song before game vs. Seahawks
- Raiders fans can dare to dream of Jon Gruden leading team to playoffs
- Former 49ers great Charles Haley tackles mental illness in HEADSTRONG
- Rebirth, Angst and the 'New Normal' of California Wildfires
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|