Feb 3, 2014, 4:19 PM PDT
San Jose Sharks forward Joe Pavelski is putting Plover, Wisconsin on the map. In return, the 12,239 residents of the 10.79 square mile town are rewarding his efforts.
The village of Plover has decreed that Feb. 7, 2014 will be Joe Pavelski Day.
They’re recognizing Pavelski with a day of his own to honor his efforts both on and off the ice. While Pavelski is a professional hockey player and member of Team USA, he is also very active in the community, where he organizes and runs youth hockey camps and participates in fundraising efforts.
Plover is a suburb of Stevens Point, and aside from the actor that played the original RoboCop, Pavelski is easily the area’s most well-known hero. He won a hockey state championship with Stevens Point Area High School in 2002, and a NCAA Championship with the University of Wisconsin in 2006. His silver medal in the 2010 Winter Olympics also certainly trumps RoboCop’s efforts on the silver screen.
Pavelski has also won over fans in San Jose. He leads the Sharks with 29 goals and was named the Sharks’ Player of the Month and the NHL’s “Third Star of the Month” for January.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Letters to Dwight Clark make impact, reach a wider audience
- The day of reckoning may finally be here for the uneventful Giants
- Whalen Playing Well in Long-Shot Chance to Join Raiders
- Seven ways Giants can evaluate roster over final 37 games of season
- Williams' Bid to Make 49ers' Backfield May Be Over
- 49ers' 53-man roster projection midway through 2018 NFL preseason
- Alameda Unified School District Adjusts Dress Code Policies
- Snedeker returns to OWGR top 50 with Wyndham win
- Wyndham purse payout: Snedeker clears $1 million
- Langer named Payne Stewart Award recipient
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|