Feb 3, 2014, 4:19 PM PDT
San Jose Sharks forward Joe Pavelski is putting Plover, Wisconsin on the map. In return, the 12,239 residents of the 10.79 square mile town are rewarding his efforts.
The village of Plover has decreed that Feb. 7, 2014 will be Joe Pavelski Day.
They’re recognizing Pavelski with a day of his own to honor his efforts both on and off the ice. While Pavelski is a professional hockey player and member of Team USA, he is also very active in the community, where he organizes and runs youth hockey camps and participates in fundraising efforts.
Plover is a suburb of Stevens Point, and aside from the actor that played the original RoboCop, Pavelski is easily the area’s most well-known hero. He won a hockey state championship with Stevens Point Area High School in 2002, and a NCAA Championship with the University of Wisconsin in 2006. His silver medal in the 2010 Winter Olympics also certainly trumps RoboCop’s efforts on the silver screen.
Pavelski has also won over fans in San Jose. He leads the Sharks with 29 goals and was named the Sharks’ Player of the Month and the NHL’s “Third Star of the Month” for January.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- TBT: Giants take on outfielder Michael Morse and his epic '80s walk-up song
- Stephen and Seth Curry bring their sibling rivalry to the NBA
- Memorial Pays Tribute to Children Killed in Alameda County
- NBC Bay Area Evictions Investigation Leads to Public Hearing
- 'The Kid' Arroyo continues wildly impressive first week with Giants
- DNA Test Requires Users to Give Up Rights
- Samardzija breaks down late-inning pitches vs Padres, overall progress
- Raiders Bolster Defense on Day 2 of NFL Draft
- Vanderdoes out to 'prove people wrong,' show Raiders his very best
- 49ers Nab QB in Third Round of NFL Draft
- Lawn Landfill at Mission Dolores Park in San Francisco
- Bochy on Arroyo's early power: 'Good to see the way he's letting it go'
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|