Feb 6, 2014, 10:31 AM PDT
The Oakland Athletics will be moving their Spring Training operations to Mesa, Arizona next year. To commemorate their 33rd and final season at Phoenix Municipal Stadium, the A’s unveiled a new Spring Training logo.
While Phoenix Muni has a beautiful backdrop, the facilities are lacking. The team has to shuttle players back and forth from Papago Park — where their practice fields are located — on a daily basis.
The A’s and the city of Mesa are spending an estimated $20 million to renovate their new Spring Training home at Hohokam Stadium and Fitch Park. The venue will have new seating, an upgraded scoreboard, and upgraded facilities.
The logo will likely be used at Phoenix Muni, on team releases and Spring Training schedules, but not on the team uniforms.
The A’s will play their Cactus League game of the season on February 26, against the Giants in Scottsdale.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Field of Links: Dodgers' disrespectful dunk, Coco's many handshakes, Giants rookies strip down
- Ever wonder what MLB players talk about at 1B?
- Steph Curry explains his new flavored mouthguards
- Sharks show their toughness in Saturday night bout with Islanders
- Sharks lay the hammer on Islanders on 'Los Tiburones Night'
- Watch Rajon Rondo punch Chris Paul in Lakers-Rockets NBA brawl
- Shot of the Game: Brent Burns scores his first goal of the season
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in San Jose's 4-1 win over the Islanders
- Brent Burns' first goal of the season sounds even better in Spanish
- 'GOL LOS TIBURONES DE SAN JOSE!' Joonas Donskoi give Sharks a 2-1 lead
- Watch the Sharks' goals vs. Islanders on 'Los Tiburones Night' in Spanish
- Sharks fan catches puck while on the phone
- Tiempo de Timo: Meier scores for Sharks on 'Los Tiburones Night'
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|