Feb 10, 2014, 9:53 AM PST
Welcome to A case of the Mondays. There’s always a lot going on during the weekend. If you weren’t lucky enough to spend the past two days on the couch, you can catch up on the top five sports items you may have missed here.
No. 1 – More than meets the eye: The story of “49ers Waldo Kid” keeps getting more interesting. After being spotted at the Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl parade in full 49ers attire, the teenager became a national story. 49ers fans decided to raise money to send the youngster to a game at Levi’s Stadium. Then things got interesting.
It was discovered that he is a ward of the state, meaning he is essentially homeless. Catherine Tate, the Dublin native that started the fundraiser explained the details to King5 in Seattle:
“He lives in shelters,” Tate said. “So this evolved from, let’s reward this kid for his bravery on one day, to let’s reward him for his bravery every day.”
Over the weekend, 49ers and Seahawks fans joined forces to help this young man, and the players also participated. As of Monday morning, they have raised over $24,000. What an incredible story. Click here to donate.
Oakland Athletics centerfielder Coco Crisp debuted a new dance this weekend at Fanfest. Well, technically it’s a very old dance, but it’s new to the A’s.
When asked by a fan to do the Bernie Lean, Crisp obliged, but also broke out the Ed Lover dance, which is a funky groove from the 90s. The man himself caught wind of the news, and offered to break his allegiance to the Yankees in support of Crisp and the A’s.
No. 3 – Preparing for Wrestlemania: San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis might make a meddlesome ringside manager. First, he has to find a way to get inside that pesky steel cage.
Over the weekend, Davis posted a picture of his son wrestling WWE Superstar Titus O’Neil in a cage match. What a lucky kid!
He gets to climb into the ring with a professional wrestler and they even lowered the cage for effect. That’s one proud papa with some serious pull. Fortunately for Davis, wrestling is fake. O’Neil has a serious size advantage.
No. 4 – Harrison Barnes wants your help: Golden State Warriors forward Harrison Barnes is crowd sourcing ideas for NBA’s Slam Dunk Contest. You can live vicariously through Barnes by seeing your dunk in action. Just tweet him using the #HB40Dunks hashtag.
No. 5 — The Wire: Remember Nik Wallenda? No? Remember the guy that walked across the Grand Canyon on a tight rope while wearing blue jeans? Yes! That same guy walked across a tight rope inside the Georgia Dome. He completed the walk while wearing street clothes and spoke to the crowd the entire time.
Three to see:
If you’ve made it this far, clearly you have some time on your hands. Here are three stories that you simply must see:
— American gold medalist Sage Kotsenberg won the Men’s Slopestyle Snowboard event. His skills were interpreted perfectly by judges but his words were lost in translation.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Check out Hunter Pence's scooter-riding bobblehead
- Why several Giants stars ride scooters to the ballpark
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Stephen and Seth Curry bring their sibling rivalry to the NBA
- Four 49ers to watch Sunday vs. Seahawks at Levi's Stadium
- Merchant Marines Veterans Hoping to Get Their Due
- CPUC Accuses PG&E of Falsifying Safety Documents
- Warriors beat Kings this time, but NorCal rivalry just getting started
- Michelle Obama Shares Life Lessons on 'Becoming' Tour
- East Bay Prepares for Evacuation Drill
- Kings learn painful lesson in dreadful final four minutes vs. Warriors
- Kings lose Marvin Bagley to injury in heartbreaking loss to Warriors
- Raiders vs. Bengals live stream: How to watch NFL Week 15 game online
- Steph Curry gives Kings 'A for effort' for trolling with moon landing video
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|