Feb 14, 2014, 2:14 PM PST
The road to full recovery for a professional athlete can be extremely difficult. Since it takes place in private, most fans don’t appreciate how much work goes into getting an All-Pro football player back onto the field after a severe injury.
That’s why it’s so amazing that 49ers linebacker NaVorro Bowman’s girlfriend is posting daily video updates of his rehabilitation. The fine folks at Niners Nation were the first to discover the truly fascinating Instagram posts and they have a detailed description of what’s taking place in each video that’s worth checking out.
You’re used to seeing Bowman cut around the field with ease before laying the lumber on opponents. Watching him learn how to walk again is a bit different. The first behind-the-scenes glimpse came from Bowman, just before Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery to repair the ACL in his left knee.
Just days after going under the knife, the rehab process began, and Bowman’s girlfriend started posting short videos.
Day 3 – Bending at the waist while standing:
Day 4: Leg raises:
Day 6: Crawling:
Day 7: Upright and walking on crutches:
Still Day 7: Stability work:
Day 8: Bending the knee:
Day 9: Standing on the left leg with no support:
Day 10: Walking without crutches:
These are all simple moves that are taken for granted on a normal day. But in these videos, it’s obvious that everything is difficult shortly after knee surgery.
Hopefully these videos keep coming, because we’ll all have a whole new perspective upon watching Bowman return to the football field.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Top five storylines surrounding 49ers in Week 14
- A's issue statement regarding Oakland's plan for Raiders stadium
- Rewind: With another close loss, clock is ticking for Kings in 2016-17
- Three takeaways: Labanc creating offense for Sharks
- Oakland takes stage in latest act of Empty Gesture Theatre
- Kaepernick's parents defend his anthem protests: 'Very proud of our son'
- Looney, Iguodala out for Warriors game in Memphis
- Top Photos of 2016, Part 1
- Watch: Tiger, Roger Clemens play catch at new course
- 'He's Not Manson': Music Producer Defends Derick Ion
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|