Feb 14, 2014, 2:14 PM PDT
The road to full recovery for a professional athlete can be extremely difficult. Since it takes place in private, most fans don’t appreciate how much work goes into getting an All-Pro football player back onto the field after a severe injury.
That’s why it’s so amazing that 49ers linebacker NaVorro Bowman’s girlfriend is posting daily video updates of his rehabilitation. The fine folks at Niners Nation were the first to discover the truly fascinating Instagram posts and they have a detailed description of what’s taking place in each video that’s worth checking out.
You’re used to seeing Bowman cut around the field with ease before laying the lumber on opponents. Watching him learn how to walk again is a bit different. The first behind-the-scenes glimpse came from Bowman, just before Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery to repair the ACL in his left knee.
Just days after going under the knife, the rehab process began, and Bowman’s girlfriend started posting short videos.
Day 3 – Bending at the waist while standing:
Day 4: Leg raises:
Day 6: Crawling:
Day 7: Upright and walking on crutches:
Still Day 7: Stability work:
Day 8: Bending the knee:
Day 9: Standing on the left leg with no support:
Day 10: Walking without crutches:
These are all simple moves that are taken for granted on a normal day. But in these videos, it’s obvious that everything is difficult shortly after knee surgery.
Hopefully these videos keep coming, because we’ll all have a whole new perspective upon watching Bowman return to the football field.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Yonder Alonso takes you through his painful foul ball vs Astros
- Highlights: Jaycob Brugman lays out for spectacular diving catch
- How bad is Yonder Alonso's injury? 'Got him pretty good'
- Instant Analysis: Five takeaways from A's loss despite five home runs
- Pit Bull Recovering After Found Badly Injured in Palo Alto
- New San Francisco Center Devoted to Poster Art
- Cubs outfielder vows he didn't give Trump the middle finger at White House
- Drive of the Game: A's slugger Khris Davis crushes two homers in Houston
- Consumers Say Health Club Misled Them
- Giants notes: Melancon gets injection; Kontos gets an at-bat
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: SB48 fall…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sogard surging…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sharks chomp P…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|