Case of the Mondays: Curry’s All-Star Weekend, Shaqlemore, and Vernon Davis is ‘Curling Captain America’
Feb 17, 2014, 9:47 AM PST
Welcome to A case of the Mondays. There’s always a lot going on during the weekend. If you weren’t lucky enough to spend the past two days on the couch, you can catch up on the top five sports items you may have missed here.
No. 1 – Stephen Curry’s All-Star Weekend: Maybe Steph Curry didn’t win the Three-Point Contest because it wasn’t challenging enough. Curry, who leads the NBA with 171 three-pointers (that actually count), was bounced in the first round after making 16 of 25 shots. He did, however, wow the crowd by draining three half-court shots in a row.
He also scored 12 points in 28 minutes of action during the All-Star Game. Most importantly, the Warriors’ first All-Star starter since 1995 had a good time.
“It was fun, man, everything I’d hoped for and more,” Curry told Warriors insider Monte Poole.
No. 2 – Shaqlemore: Sacramento Kings guard Ben McLemore and Shaquille O’Neal will never be royals, but they came pretty close. McLemore was introduced in regal fashion and dunked over Shaq, who was sitting on a golden throne. After the slam, Shaq put a crown on McLemore’s head. Unfortunately, John Wall became the king of the dunk moments later.
The NBA should flush the new format for the Slam Dunk Contest. It may have been a massive flop, but at least there were two memorable dunks and we got to meet “Shaqlemore.”
No. 3 – Curling Captain America: San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis spent the weekend in Sochi with the U.S. Curling teams.
Davis became the honorary captain of the American curlers when he fell in love with the sport prior to the Vancouver Olympics in 2010.
“I’m just here to support the guys any way I can,” Davis told Bay Area News Group. “It’s just a beautiful opportunity to uplift the spirit of the game.”
The U.S. Curling teams need all the help they can get. They are struggling thus far.
No. 4 – Baseball is back: The scent of fresh-cut grass, the unmistakable sound of baseballs ripping through the air, the pop of the catcher’s mitt, and the news of bizarre injuries mean baseball is officially back.
No. 5 – STAY: While the Oakland Athletics are spending their final spring in Phoenix, the folks back home hope they stay in Oakland forever. On Saturday, a massive A’s mural was unveiled near Jack London Square. The work of art was painted using nothing but spray paint cans. The artists that created it are from TDK Collective, a Bay Area group that’s trying to offer alternatives to businesses that have been plagued by graffiti.
Three to see:
If you’ve made it this far, clearly you have some time on your hands. Here are three stories that you simply must see:
— A BYU player used a choke gesture to taunt Saint Mary’s after a comeback victory. The Gaels lost 60-57.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Field of Links: Kap pitches in, Alex Smith tees it up with 49ers, Sharks and Warriors struggling
- Betcha' didn't know this about NFL kickers
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- Small Plane Crashes Into House in San Jose
- Kerr dreams of world with quiet Trump and LaVar Ball: 'Wouldn't that be great?'
- Ex-Warriors All-Star David Lee announces his retirement from the NBA
- Abandoned Boat Spins in Circles Off Half Moon Bay Coast
- Group in SF Protests Eating Turkey Ahead of Thanksgiving
- Kerr plays with slinky after announcing Casspi will start against Nets
- Evans on Stanton trade talk: 'If they didn't think there was a good chance...'
- Steph Curry nails circus shot, immediately goes to sign autographs
- For his next trick, Steve Kerr plays with slinky while addressing the media
- WATCH: Warriors vs Nets
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|