Field of Links: Sogard surging in ‘Face of MLB’ contest, Sad Sochi Bear, Upton’s zero gravity photo shoot
Feb 19, 2014, 10:11 AM PDT
Eric Sogard is on a collision course with Buster Posey in MLB Network’s Face of MLB competition. The improbable run of the Oakland Athletics’ second baseman has been fueled exclusively by the fan vote. They even had his name trending worldwide on Twitter at one point. A’s fans are a creative and loyal bunch, and they are doing their best to collectively thumb their nose at Major League Baseball.
Sure, A’s fans legitimately love their bespectacled infielder, but even he’d be the first to tell you that he’s not the face of his own team, let alone the MLB. Sogard advanced past Anthony Rizzo of the Cubs and crushed Troy Tulowitzki of the Rockies in the second round. It will be interesting to see what happens when rival fan bases go head-to-head in the quarterfinals, as Sogard will be facing Posey.
— There’s no question that Stephen Curry is the face of the Warriors, but Andrew Bogut’s shoulder could derail their season.
— It’s a good year for the San Francisco 49ers to have a stockpile of draft picks, writes insider Matt Maiocco. He’ll be scouting the talent at the NFL Combine starting this Thursday.
Time to tag the web with some links…
Field of Links:
No one took Russia’s loss harder than the Sochi Bear, though.
— Rays pitcher Alex Cobb proposed to his girlfriend with the help of a dolphin. Pretty good, right? Well, Blue Jays pitcher Casey Janssen just upped the anti:
— JOB OPPORTUNITY! There’s a clown shortage in America.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- Betcha' didn't know this about baseballs
- Field of Links: Kap pitches in, Alex Smith tees it up with 49ers, Sharks and Warriors struggling
- Hall and Oates, Tears For Fears Show in San Jose Postponed
- Pepper Spray Prompts Evacuations at South San Jose Hotel
- Highlights: Another Giants loss? Here's a skateboarding dog and dancing kid
- Father Arrested After Abandoning Baby in Suisun City: Police
- Bochy voices frustration with umpire after loss to Pirates
- Pavlovic: Headed to Sacramento, Pablo has lot of work to do
- Fallon Smith throws down on Ahmed Fareed in #DriveByDunkChallenge
- Listless Giants roughed up by Pirates in ejection-filled series opener
- Woman Arrested in Man's Fatal Stabbing in Burlingame Home
- Done with SJ, Pablo trying to get to San Francisco as soon as possible
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: SB48 fall…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Curry…|
|louiecarmae on More pics of Balfour’s m…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: ‘Get Nin…|