Feb 20, 2014, 5:26 PM PDT
San Francisco State University is considering saying “See you later, Alligator” to their mascot. Most mascot changes occur as a result of controversy or relocation. Fortunately, SF State doesn’t have either issue. What they do have, is a purple alligator that makes very little sense.
“I’m about 90% sure that we are not going to be the Gators,” SF State President Leslie E. Wong recently told the student-run Golden Gate Xpress. “It’s overwhelming that people don’t get the gator thing at all.”
Wong wants to improve the school’s athletic program and is spending $2.1 million to renovate the gymnasium and locker rooms on campus. He doesn’t think the Gator carries as much value.
Sure, there are memories. The Gator has been SF State’s official mascot since 1931, when an unidentified reader submitted the idea to the student paper and it won. The Gator was meant to be called “Gater” as a creative reference to the Golden Gate Bridge, but it didn’t stick. Spelling something intentionally wrong at a higher institute of learning is a tough sell, after all.
The Golden Gate Xpress even dug up yearbook photos from the 60s of a live gator named Al (get it?) that used to make visits to the campus. It’s highly unlikely Al was a native of the San Francisco area, though. Alligators can be found throughout the southeast, but almost never in California.
While there’s nothing terribly wrong with the current mascot, Wong could give SF State the opportunity to come up with something that better represents San Francisco’s rich history and natural beauty. Ideas could include a seal, a migratory bird that represents the commuter aspect of the college, a river otter like Sutro Sam, heck, the San Francisco Bulls’ mascot is even currently available. Pretty much anything makes more sense than an alligator.
In order to change mascots, they’d have to purge all of the items and logos that have a gator on them. The soon-to-be throwback merchandise might become a nice novelty down the road, and the college would hope to make some money back by selling merchandise featuring their new mascot.
As an SF State alumnus, I never really got the gator thing. It really wasn’t a big deal, though. They don’t, however, have an alternative in mind, and if they find a new one after a while, it better not be a crocodile.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: Juan Marichal attacks John Roseboro with a bat
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Check out Hunter Pence's scooter-riding bobblehead
- Madison Bumgarner joins the Giants' scooter-riding ranks
- Shot of the Game: Thornton converts in two-on-one situation
- Ex-49er Tukuafu to take FB job for Seahawks
- Rewind: Sharks flounder late, waste strong start from Niemi
- Saints top Panthers 28-10 to take NFC South lead
- NCAA denies Georgia's appeal of Gurley suspension
- Championships often a freebie for knucklehead brigade
- Instant Replay: Sharks blow lead, fall to Wild in shootout
- Rams-49ers Matchup No. 3: Davis vs. Reid
- Bonds celebrates Giants' World Series victory with fans
- 49ers injury report: Ward back to practice, set to regain role
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|