Feb 24, 2014, 3:24 PM PST
Buster Posey is a statuesque former MVP that handles one of the league’s best pitching rotations. Eric Sogard is a slick-fielding platoon infielder that looks like he’d be more comfortable playing Quidditch. Posey poses in GQ Magazine. Sogard wears vision-correcting eye wear.
Which one should be considered the face of Major League Baseball? The fans say Sogard. And it’s not even close, according to the current voting results.
Very few people outside of the Bay Area have heard of Sogard. He’s not the type of player that will even be selected in the deepest of fantasy baseball leagues. Yet, he has demolished the competition in MLB.com’s “Face of MLB” competition, which is a tournament style contest that is determined exclusively by fan voting.
A’s and Giants fans are currently going head-to-head on Twitter in a battle to get their player to the next round. To vote, all you have to do is tweet either #BusterPosey or #EricSogard and include #FaceOfMLB. Voting closes at 5 a.m. Tuesday morning.
Sogard scored upset wins over Anthony Rizzo of the Cubs and Troy Tulowitzki of the Rockies. He is facing Posey in the elite eight round. The improbable run of the bespectacled infielder figured to end when he went up against the Giants’ catcher, but the results have been surprising.
Ironically, a guy that nobody would consider the face of his own team, has a chance to advance to the final four. The contest itself is a bit ridiculous, and in true underdog fashion, A’s fans are thumbing their nose at the establishment and loving every second of it. There’s still a lot of time remaining, though, and Giants fans are a force to be reckoned with. It’s likely the battle between fan bases will go down to the wire.
Here are some of the most creative tweets from the Sogard camp:
(Hey, how’d that get in there?)
Here are some of the most creative tweets from the Posey camp:
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Jerebko leads trio of potent options, as Warriors' bench scoring rises
- Steph Curry wanted a lob pass for a dunk; Kevin Durant said 'Nah son'
- Sonoma Co. Agrees to $3M Settlement to Family of Andy Lopez
- Sharks vs. Wild watch guide: Projected lines and defensive pairs
- 2019 NFL draft order: Raiders move on up, still stuck behind Cardinals
- Giants outfield situation could change drastically before Opening Day
- NBA refs respond after Andre Iguodala tweets about James Harden's stepback
- Robbie Gould, Mr. Consistency, faces uncertain future with 49ers
- 49ers rookie Tarvarius Moore shows Kyle Shanahan he's 'not scared'
- 49ers Solomon Thomas' best plays of career won't show up on stat sheet
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|