Feb 24, 2014, 3:24 PM PDT
Buster Posey is a statuesque former MVP that handles one of the league’s best pitching rotations. Eric Sogard is a slick-fielding platoon infielder that looks like he’d be more comfortable playing Quidditch. Posey poses in GQ Magazine. Sogard wears vision-correcting eye wear.
Which one should be considered the face of Major League Baseball? The fans say Sogard. And it’s not even close, according to the current voting results.
Very few people outside of the Bay Area have heard of Sogard. He’s not the type of player that will even be selected in the deepest of fantasy baseball leagues. Yet, he has demolished the competition in MLB.com’s “Face of MLB” competition, which is a tournament style contest that is determined exclusively by fan voting.
A’s and Giants fans are currently going head-to-head on Twitter in a battle to get their player to the next round. To vote, all you have to do is tweet either #BusterPosey or #EricSogard and include #FaceOfMLB. Voting closes at 5 a.m. Tuesday morning.
Sogard scored upset wins over Anthony Rizzo of the Cubs and Troy Tulowitzki of the Rockies. He is facing Posey in the elite eight round. The improbable run of the bespectacled infielder figured to end when he went up against the Giants’ catcher, but the results have been surprising.
Ironically, a guy that nobody would consider the face of his own team, has a chance to advance to the final four. The contest itself is a bit ridiculous, and in true underdog fashion, A’s fans are thumbing their nose at the establishment and loving every second of it. There’s still a lot of time remaining, though, and Giants fans are a force to be reckoned with. It’s likely the battle between fan bases will go down to the wire.
Here are some of the most creative tweets from the Sogard camp:
(Hey, how’d that get in there?)
Here are some of the most creative tweets from the Posey camp:
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Field of Links: Dodgers' disrespectful dunk, Coco's many handshakes, Giants rookies strip down
- Ever wonder what MLB players talk about at 1B?
- Steph Curry explains his new flavored mouthguards
- Sharks show their toughness in Saturday night bout with Islanders
- Sharks lay the hammer on Islanders on 'Los Tiburones Night'
- Watch Rajon Rondo punch Chris Paul in Lakers-Rockets NBA brawl
- Shot of the Game: Brent Burns scores his first goal of the season
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in San Jose's 4-1 win over the Islanders
- Brent Burns' first goal of the season sounds even better in Spanish
- 'GOL LOS TIBURONES DE SAN JOSE!' Joonas Donskoi give Sharks a 2-1 lead
- Watch the Sharks' goals vs. Islanders on 'Los Tiburones Night' in Spanish
- Sharks fan catches puck while on the phone
- Tiempo de Timo: Meier scores for Sharks on 'Los Tiburones Night'
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|