Feb 24, 2014, 3:24 PM PDT
Buster Posey is a statuesque former MVP that handles one of the league’s best pitching rotations. Eric Sogard is a slick-fielding platoon infielder that looks like he’d be more comfortable playing Quidditch. Posey poses in GQ Magazine. Sogard wears vision-correcting eye wear.
Which one should be considered the face of Major League Baseball? The fans say Sogard. And it’s not even close, according to the current voting results.
Very few people outside of the Bay Area have heard of Sogard. He’s not the type of player that will even be selected in the deepest of fantasy baseball leagues. Yet, he has demolished the competition in MLB.com’s “Face of MLB” competition, which is a tournament style contest that is determined exclusively by fan voting.
A’s and Giants fans are currently going head-to-head on Twitter in a battle to get their player to the next round. To vote, all you have to do is tweet either #BusterPosey or #EricSogard and include #FaceOfMLB. Voting closes at 5 a.m. Tuesday morning.
Sogard scored upset wins over Anthony Rizzo of the Cubs and Troy Tulowitzki of the Rockies. He is facing Posey in the elite eight round. The improbable run of the bespectacled infielder figured to end when he went up against the Giants’ catcher, but the results have been surprising.
Ironically, a guy that nobody would consider the face of his own team, has a chance to advance to the final four. The contest itself is a bit ridiculous, and in true underdog fashion, A’s fans are thumbing their nose at the establishment and loving every second of it. There’s still a lot of time remaining, though, and Giants fans are a force to be reckoned with. It’s likely the battle between fan bases will go down to the wire.
Here are some of the most creative tweets from the Sogard camp:
(Hey, how’d that get in there?)
Here are some of the most creative tweets from the Posey camp:
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Field of Links: Find out how much a 'Kimye' style proposal at AT&T Park costs
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- The Hidden Relics of Candlestick Park
- Field of Links: Kings' Isaiah Thomas will deliver pizza to your home
- Throwback Thursday: Roseanne's wretched anthem performance
- Viral Video Shows Ayesha Curry Taunted By Rockets Fan
- Barack Obama Visits Airbnb Office in San Francisco
- Giants fall behind in seventh inning, lose third straight
- Warriors brief: How Chris Paul's injury changes the Western Conference Finals
- The Kings Insider Podcast: Who should Sacramento pick at No. 2?
- The Giants Insider Podcast: Breaking down the first 50 games
- Giants unravel in seventh inning, drop series opener to Cubs
- Police Investigating Shooting in San Francisco
- Police Block Off Pleasant Hill Area After Shooting Reports
- Rockets' loss is Warriors' gain as tables turn on the injury bug
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|