Feb 27, 2014, 9:19 AM PDT
Let’s be real. Voting for Eric Sogard to be the “Face of MLB” isn’t about baseball. It’s not about the fans’ love of Sogard (although he is quite popular). It’s about proving that anything is possible if people come together. It’s about Oakland Athletics fans showing the establishment they can’t be ignored forever. It’s a sharp kick to the hindquarters of the very people that view A’s fans as second-class citizens, even in their own market.
Sogard isn’t the “face” of Major League Baseball. He isn’t even the “face” of the A’s. How ridiculous is that concept anyways? The face? Really? The A’s are successful because they find a way to get contributions from every last player on the roster. There is no face. Last year, Yoenis Cespedes was bounced in the first round of the “Face of MLB” competition.
Sogard is the face of a fan base that has been pushed around, disrespected by the masses, and overlooked by national media. Now they’re getting revenge by throwing this contest the best way they can — with their computers via social media, clever photoshop images, and smart humor. Like real nerds. And there’s nothing more dangerous than an organized group of cunning people with a chip on their collective shoulder.
— Josh Reddick made the best catch you’ll ever see. Then he did it again.
— The 49ers are $15 million under salary cap. What does this mean for Colin Kaepernick?
— A clerk at a Richmond liquor store obliterated a robber. I mean, this is a German Suplex that would make Kurt Angle proud.
Field of Links:
— Speaking of cute puppies… The Brewers adopted a stray dog, and he ran in the Sausage Race on Wednesday.
— We should probably care more about this news: Scientists discovered over 700 new planets.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- TBT: Juan Marichal attacks John Roseboro with a bat
- Ever wonder what it's like to run in the A's Hall of Fame Race?
- Madison Bumgarner joins the Giants' scooter-riding ranks
- USS Hornet Museum Celebrates Anniversary of Moon Landing
- Startup Aims to Rent Out Homeowners' Backyards
- Why this ESPN analyst thinks Warriors could be 'terrifying' next year
- Chris Wondolowski, Earthquakes drop Whitecaps in third straight win
- Why A's slugger Khris Davis' clutch hit vs. Twins just what he needed
- Drive of the Game: Slumping Khris Davis steps up in big spot for A's
- A's dramatic ninth-inning comeback seals second straight win vs. Twins
- Source: Giants planning to call up slugging third baseman Zach Green
- WATCH: Earthquakes vs. Whitecaps
- Red Wings hilariously troll Logan Couture on Pavel Datsyuk's birthday
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|