Feb 27, 2014, 9:19 AM PST
Let’s be real. Voting for Eric Sogard to be the “Face of MLB” isn’t about baseball. It’s not about the fans’ love of Sogard (although he is quite popular). It’s about proving that anything is possible if people come together. It’s about Oakland Athletics fans showing the establishment they can’t be ignored forever. It’s a sharp kick to the hindquarters of the very people that view A’s fans as second-class citizens, even in their own market.
Sogard isn’t the “face” of Major League Baseball. He isn’t even the “face” of the A’s. How ridiculous is that concept anyways? The face? Really? The A’s are successful because they find a way to get contributions from every last player on the roster. There is no face. Last year, Yoenis Cespedes was bounced in the first round of the “Face of MLB” competition.
Sogard is the face of a fan base that has been pushed around, disrespected by the masses, and overlooked by national media. Now they’re getting revenge by throwing this contest the best way they can — with their computers via social media, clever photoshop images, and smart humor. Like real nerds. And there’s nothing more dangerous than an organized group of cunning people with a chip on their collective shoulder.
– Josh Reddick made the best catch you’ll ever see. Then he did it again.
– The 49ers are $15 million under salary cap. What does this mean for Colin Kaepernick?
– A clerk at a Richmond liquor store obliterated a robber. I mean, this is a German Suplex that would make Kurt Angle proud.
Field of Links:
– Speaking of cute puppies… The Brewers adopted a stray dog, and he ran in the Sausage Race on Wednesday.
– We should probably care more about this news: Scientists discovered over 700 new planets.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Giants' Wotus eliminated from Rays managerial race
- NFC playoff picture with six games remaining
- Should Giants match Red Sox's five-year, $95M offer for Pablo?
- Carroll: Reports wrong, Seahawks 'would love' Lynch to return
- Sharks put Burish on waivers
- DISH may drop Comcast SportsNet!
- Utah State crushes San Jose State 41-7
- Report: Red Sox make five-year offer to Sandoval
- SaberCats add receiver, cornerback to roster
- Report: Hunter 'back-burner option' for Giants, Orioles
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|