Feb 28, 2014, 9:53 AM PST
After going to sleep with a comfortable lead, Oakland Athletics fans woke up on Friday morning to find out that Eric Sogard somehow lost the “Face of MLB” competition. The herculean effort of underdog A’s fans were eventually trumped by the Eastern Time Zone. Voting closed at 5 a.m. PST, allowing New York Mets fans to make a final push as California-based Sogard supporters slept.
Some fans, however, are crying foul. In the final hour of the contest, Wright’s votes spiked incredibly high. A late surge is to be expected, but it’s a bit odd when a large chunk of the votes appear to be coming from South Korea. Hmm. Oh well… The contest is mercifully over, and people’s timelines can now go back to normal. Either way, A’s fans proved their point. Their organization, support of Sogard, and unreal creativity made some serious noise. It was truly entertaining to follow.
Despite the outcome, this was a huge win for supporters of Eric Sogard and supporters of anarchy. The entire contest was hijacked by bespectacled nihilism. Much of baseball turned against Jose Bautista and against David Wright, and rooted for a dumb promotion to suffer the absurdist payoff it deserved. It didn’t quite happen, but now there’s almost no chance MLB runs this contest again next year. And that is a triumph for democracy.
Wright, who doesn’t even have a Twitter account, also seemed happy with the results.
— Logan Couture and Raffi Torres made an immediate impact upon returning to the San Jose Sharks’ lineup. Team Teal dominated the Philadelphia Flyers with a 7-3 win.
— Stephen Curry will be wearing special shoes tonight against the New York Knicks.
Time to kick it with some links from around the nation…
Field of Links:
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Overturned Tanker Truck on Hwy. 101 in San Martin
- Draymond Green returning to Warriors with aching finger, heavy heart
- Steph Curry takes jab at Michael Jordan for Hall of Fame comment
- HEADSTRONG: Charles Haley opens up on his bipolar disease, mental illness
- Bay Area rapper E-40 drops 49ers-themed song before game vs. Seahawks
- Raiders fans can dare to dream of Jon Gruden leading team to playoffs
- Former 49ers great Charles Haley tackles mental illness in HEADSTRONG
- Rebirth, Angst and the 'New Normal' of California Wildfires
- NFL Draft 2020: Where 49ers, Raiders would pick if season ended today
- San Quinn, Young Sight get you hyped for 49ers-Seahawks prime-time clash
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|