Jun 12, 2013, 11:45 AM PDT
OAKLAND — He’s known as The Sandman, but he’s never been called The Pizza Man. Mariano Rivera is arguably the most well-known pitcher in Major League Baseball. He is MLB’s all-time saves leader and has amassed 631 saves over his 19-year career (so far) with the Yankees. So why is Rivera spending part of his afternoon delivering a meal to the Oakland Athletics mailroom?
Rivera, 43, is retiring at the end of the 2013 season. As part of his farewell tour, he wants to meet an unsung hero-type at each of his final stops. In Oakland, that person is Julie Vasconcellos. She’s a huge baseball fan, and has worked in the A’s mailroom for 25 years. She was shocked when the five-time World Series champion walked into the room with a pizza.
It is a classy gesture from one of the game’s all-time greats, and it is unlike anything done in the past. Rivera has learned to appreciate the game of baseball from the clubhouse, dugout, and pitcher’s mound, and now in his final season, he gets to share the limelight with some of the stars behind the scenes. Comcast SportsNet was lucky enough to share the moment with “Mo” and Julie. Enjoy the video.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chiefs' Frank Clark discusses bond with 'big brother' Draymond Green
- Why Patrick Marleau's goal song didn't play in Sharks' win over Ducks
- Richard Sherman has 'no animosity' to 49ers after Jim Harbaugh left
- How 49ers receivers learn from each other regardless of NFL experience
- Shot of the Game: Patrick Marleau ties Mike Modano on all-time goals list
- Richard Sherman explains what makes 49ers' defense so tough to beat
- 49ers' Richard Sherman wanted to put Jim Harbaugh 'out of the league'
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in impressive 4-2 win over Ducks
- Shot of the Game: De'Aaron Fox ties game after missing FT on purpose
- How Kyle Shanahan's relationship with Bill Belichick grew after Super Bowl LI
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|