Jun 27, 2013, 11:44 AM PDT
On this week a decade ago, Barry Bonds swiped his 500th base, making him the charter member of baseball’s 500/500 club. At 37, Bonds already had 633 home runs, and his 500th stolen base on June 23, 2003 placed him in an ultra-exclusive club that he will likely remain the sole member of forever.
No active player is even close to joining the 500/500 club. Alex Rodriguez, 37, needs 182 more stolen bases. Albert Pujols, 33, needs 18 more home runs and 408 more stolen bases. In fact, there’s only one active player with more than 500 stolen bases, Juan Pierre, with 609, but he is 482 home runs shy.
The milestone moment occurred in the ninth inning with Dodgers closer Eric Gagne on the mound. Moments later, Giants catcher Benito Santiago singled home Bonds to score the game-winning run and beat the Dodgers 3-2 in walk-off fashion.
“I think it’s great, something I hope is going to be around a long time. You never know,” Bonds told MLB.com. “But my dad probably wasn’t here to see it. … He hasn’t stayed a whole game for a long time.”
For Bonds, the day he joined the 500/500 club was memorable for reasons beyond the box score. His father, Bobby Bonds, made a special appearance in the Giants clubhouse before the game.
At the time, the elder Bonds was undergoing chemotherapy for lung cancer and had a brain tumor. He passed away two months later on August 23, 2003. He was 57-years-old. He was there for his son on that historic day, and was reportedly watching the game nearby with Barry’s godfather, Willie Mays.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Report: Kings on short list for potential postseason play-in tournament
- Stephen Curry, Steve Kerr among sports figures outraged by Floyd case
- This stat shows how 49ers were most balanced team in NFL last season
- Kendrick Perkins claims he doesn't hate Steph Curry despite recent takes
- Raiders begin UNLV turf installation to play on at Allegiant Stadium
- Why Max Kellerman believes Kevin Durant still needs to prove greatness
- Giants Insider Podcast: Javier Lopez on pitching to Barry Bonds
- Ex-Giant Javier Lopez recalls vivid details about facing Barry Bonds
- 20 Kings Questions: Can Richaun Holmes and Marvin Bagley play together?
- Field to Table: Garlic fries recipe for making Oracle Park treat from home
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|