Jun 28, 2013, 2:22 PM PDT
When the Oakland Athletics announced they were going to be giving away a Coco Crisp ‘Bernie Lean’ bobblehead (or bobblewaist in this case), it was met with so much fanfare that they had to increase their order from 10,000 to 15,000 units.
The leanin’ figurine is a tribute to the appropriately titled song, ‘Bernie Lean,’ by Southern California-based rappers ATM and IMD. Last season, Crisp started stepping to plate to their song and the dance became one of the hallmarks of the A’s late-season run that ended in an American League Division Title. Crisp and his teammates were even featured in a music video shot at the Oakland Coliseum with the rappers.
The first 15,000 fans in attendance for Saturday’s game against the St. Louis Cardinals will get their hands on their own bobblehead, but Comcast SportsNet obtained an early prototype and we put it to the test.
It is clear that Crisp and his bobblehead can Bernie Lean, but the question is how far? Using a protractor, it was determined that the Coco Lean maxes out at 130 degrees.
— According to the manufacturer of the bobblehead, BDA, Inc., the Coco Lean is made from a hand-made mold and each one is painted by hand.
— This bobblehead is made of polyresin and it takes approximately 5,813 pounds of the plastic material to make 10,000 figurines. When the A’s upped the order to 15,000 units, it upped the weight of polyresin used to 8,719 pounds.
— BDA, Inc. uses 9.3 ounces of polyresin in each bobblehead on average, and they will be making 1.7 million bobbleheads in 2013.
The Coco Lean Bobblehead is perhaps the most creative A’s giveaways to date. When you’re leaning in the crowd on Saturday with your own figurine, you can now do so with more facts than you’ve ever wanted.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Matt 'Megatoad' Stonie chugs 2 liters of soda without burping
- The story behind this unreal Kaepernick tribute haircut
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- Giants' Mike Krukow has no sympathy for Aubrey Huff, says he 'blew it'
- Rob Manfred believes Mike Fiers did MLB service in exposing Astros' scandal
- 49ers' road back to Super Bowl made tougher by Drew Brees, Greg Olsen
- Sharks' return in Brenden Dillon trade leaves something to be desired
- Gabe Kapler says he has 'never seen' a BP like Pablo Sandoval's
- LeBron James speaks out on Rob Manfred's handling of Astros scandal
- Rob Manfred working to protect A's pitcher Mike Fiers from retaliation
- Sharks trade Brenden Dillon to Capitals for two NHL draft picks
- NHL rumors: Execs believe Joe Thornton trade to Bruins, Avalanche fits
- Watch George Kittle wreak havoc in run game during youth football days
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|