Jul 5, 2013, 2:08 PM PDT
Less than an inch can alter the course of history in Major League Baseball. It is imperative that field dimensions are exact and that umpires have a clearly defined boundary to determine whether a ball is fair or foul.
Have you ever wondered how a Major League Baseball grounds crew manages to lay down perfect foul lines and batters boxes before every game? In the Giants case, they use an old-school box chalking system. Nowadays, not all ballparks use real chalk to lay down the surface lines. Some grounds crew choose to use a spray paint can mounted to a push cart.
In this video, Giants manager of field operations Jeff Windsor provides a detailed behind the scenes look at the precise chalking process at AT&T Park.
How do big league grounds crews get it right every day? The key is having home plate in the exact same spot for every game. Using the apex of the plate, they can accurately determine where each base and the rubber of the pitcher’s mound should be.
Proper Distance From Home Plate:
Second Base: 127 feet, 3-3/8 inches
First Base: 90 feet
Third Base: 90 feet
Pitcher’s rubber on the mound: 60 feet, 6 inches
It should be noted that most grounds crews don’t actually have to measure these distances daily. They have holes in the infield that they simply plug the bases into.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Say Hey! That's Willie Mays in a rap video
- A Minecraft gamer built a virtual Levi's Stadium out of blocks
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- MC Hammer and Oakland Fight Club create a new Raiders Anthem
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Steph Curry believes Sabrina Ionescu has basketball 'in great hands'
- Joe Thornton's two goals not enough in Sharks' loss to Rangers at MSG
- Shot of the Game: Joe Thornton snaps goal-less streak on the road
- Sharks' Joe Thornton scores two goals amid NHL trade deadline rumors
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in frustrating 3-2 loss to Rangers
- Warriors Gaming Squad prioritizes experience in NBA 2K League Draft
- Joey Bart, Mauricio Dubon hit homers in Giants' spring training opener
- Harry Giles, Kent Bazemore lead Kings to win over Clippers
- Shot of the Game: Harry Giles' alley-oop closes out Kings' win vs. Clippers
- Arsenal-Everton live stream: How to watch EPL game online, on TV
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|