Jul 29, 2013, 9:18 AM PDT
There’s always a lot going on during the weekend. If you weren’t lucky enough to spend the past two days on the couch, you can catch up on the top five sports items you may have missed here.
No. 1: The A’s got groovy: The Oakland Athletics took three of four from the Angels and did so in style. Check out the 1969 throwback jerseys from Saturday. The jerseys weren’t the only thing golden about the A’s weekend. They are now a season-high 19 games over .500 and six games ahead of the Texas Rangers in the American League West.
In 1969, the A’s won the AL West for the first time in Oakland. Here are some other interesting turn-back-the-clock day facts.
Flashback to 1969:
– Neil Armstrong and Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin landed on the moon
– Woodstock tickets cost $6
– A gallon of gas cost .35 cents
– Sesame Street debuted
– The A’s played at the Oakland Coliseum, wait, they still do.
Maybe it wasn’t such a different time after all.
No. 2: The Giants met their enemy: On Friday, the Giants made a ninth-inning error that cost them the game. On Saturday, they responded by doing extra infield work instead of taking batting practice — then got shutout at the plate. The Giants just can’t win lately. According to CSNBayArea.com staff writer Nate Stuhlbarg, Giants manager Bruce Bochy has figured out part of the problem.
“We have met the enemy and it is us,” Bochy quoted.
The defending World Series Champions may have a roster full of different enemies soon. After being swept by the Cubs, they are 10 games back in their division and the MLB trade deadline is Wednesday.
No. 3: The Raiders did a lot of pushups: Raiders fans found a way to discipline the players for mistakes this weekend at an open practice session in Napa. Our Raiders Insider Scott Bair had the scoop.
Dropping passes came with a consequence on Saturday afternoon. Raiders fans demanded their receivers drop and give ‘em 10 when a well-thrown ball clanked off the hands, and a few guilty parties paid their debt.
No. 4: Steph Curry had the most interesting weekend ever: Here’s how Curry’s weekend started:
Here’s how Curry’s weekend ended:
No. 5: Angels took BART, faced Bart: If this story didn’t get as much play as it deserved, it was because everyone was stuck in traffic and didn’t see it. During rush hour on Friday, the Bay Bridge was closed in both directions because a suspicious object was found. Angels players that missed the first bus to the ballpark were stuck at their hotel in downtown San Francisco and they all had to take BART together to get to Oakland. That meant Angels players took BART to the ballpark to face Bartolo Colon, who defeated them.
Three to see:
If you’ve made it this far, clearly you have some time on your hands. Here are three stories that you simply must see:
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Mike Ricci opens up about his first month as Sharks assistant coach
- De'Aaron Fox's development silver lining in disappointing Kings season
- Why James Wiseman is, is not a perfect fit for Warriors in NBA Draft
- Quakes' Tommy Thompson challenges Steph Curry after making tunnel shot
- 49ers-Packers odds, predictions: Betting lines, picks in NFL playoff game
- 49ers vs. Packers live stream: How to watch NFL playoff game online, on TV
- 49ers legends weigh in on current team at Letters to 87 event
- Kyle Shanahan describes how Dee Ford impacts entire 49ers defense
- Warriors assign Alen Smailagic to G League ahead of game vs. Magic
- Chiefs vs. Titans live stream: How to watch AFC Championship online, on TV
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|