Aug 13, 2013, 10:47 AM PDT
The on-the-field product for San Francisco Giants hasn’t been so hot recently, but being the defending World Series Champions has its perks. The Giants recently welcomed legendary comic creator Stan Lee to AT&T Park, and the man that was responsible for the creation of heroes like Spider-man, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, The Avengers, The Fantastic Four, and many, many more staples in the comic book community, developed a new good guy.
“Maybe his name will be the Silver Slider,” the legendary Stan Lee said in an a-ha moment.
Lee was referring to an illustrated version of Giants closer Sergio Romo.
The creative mind behind many of the most well-known Marvel Comics rationalized his decision by explaining that Romo’s slider is his most valuable weapon. In a video by SFG Productions, Lee seems enamored by the movement on Romo’s out pitch. In Lee’s creative mind it isn’t hard to make a connection between comic book heroes and baseball players.
“A superhero never really gives up,” Lee said. “A professional athlete should never give up.”
Superheroes also have to deal with great adversity.
The Giants know all about that. They are currently in last place in the National League West, and a whopping 13.5 games behind the villainous Los Angeles Dodgers and their $216 million payroll.
Can the Giants overcome an impossible deficit to defend their title? Will the Dodgers and their powerful bats destroy San Francisco’s heroes? It will certainly take a super-human effort from the Silver Slider to turn things around.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Mike Ricci opens up about his first month as Sharks assistant coach
- 49ers vs. Packers live stream: How to watch NFL playoff game online, on TV
- 49ers legends weigh in on current team at Letters to 87 event
- Kyle Shanahan describes how Dee Ford impacts entire 49ers defense
- Warriors assign Alen Smailagic to G League ahead of game vs. Magic
- Chiefs vs. Titans live stream: How to watch AFC Championship online, on TV
- 49ers have no injuries heading into NFC Championship Game vs. Packers
- 49ers' Kyle Shanahan recalls Mike Pettine tiff, 'most nervous' play call
- Raiders' Derek Carr 'progressed at rapid rate' in 2019, Mike Mayock says
- NHL rumors: Doug Wilson won't disrupt Sharks' core at trade deadline
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|