Aug 19, 2013, 9:21 AM PDT
There’s always a lot going on during the weekend. If you weren’t lucky enough to spend the past two days on the couch, you can catch up on the top five sports items you may have missed here.
No. 1: Kaepernick to Davis. Rinse and repeat: Last season, one of the 49ers’ most dangerous weapons went underutilized once Colin Kaepernick took over under center. It looks like times have changed. Our 49ers Insider Matt Maiocco hasn’t missed a moment of 49ers Training Camp and he describes the Kap to Davis connection as unstoppable.
Vernon Davis, lining up exclusively at tight end, utilized his straight-line speed to blow past a linebacker in the middle of the field. Then, quarterback Colin Kaepernick with laser-like precision beamed a 25-yard pass between the safeties 25 yards or more down the field.
In the seven regular season games that Kaepernick started last season, Davis caught just one touchdown and had a mere 174 yards. Expect them to improve together.
No. 2 – Yoenis Cespedes critiques his bobblehead: The Oakland Athletics gave away Yoenis Cespedes bobbleheads on Saturday. The Cuban-born slugger celebrated the occasion by helping the A’s win two of three from the Indians. While Cespedes only went 2 for 12 during the series, he launched a two-run homer that was caught by the father of an A’s batboy, and made a stunning throw to rob Nick Swisher of a double.
Cespedes, who has a certain has flair for the dramatic, then ended the weekend by offering this strange critique of his bobblehead:
No. 3 – Hunter Pence exorcises his demons: It looked like Hunter Pence harnessed all of the pain, anguish and frustration of the Giants’ lost season and unleashed it with a single mighty hack on Sunday. Sure, the 459-foot homer (that cleared whatever that thing in centerfield is) didn’t end up helping the Giants beat the Miami Marlins, but it sure was fun to watch. Pence admitted that he was frustrated after not hitting a home run for an entire month.
The best part of the home run isn’t where the ball landed. It’s Tom Koehler’s reaction.
No. 4 – Don’t go golfing with Sharks defenseman Brent Burns: Somebody call an archeologist. San Jose Sharks defenseman, and resident caveman, Brent Burns may have found the remains of a saber-toothed tiger while golfing.
Burns has 67,000 followers and none of them could identify the the remains of whatever he found. Burns probably also needs help finding his golf game, because it’s doubtful that skull was on the fairway or green.
In June, Burns tweeted this picture from the golf course.
There’s no mystery as to what that creature is. While he was playing with that snake there was probably a previously-thought-to-be-extinct jungle cat stalking him from the rough.
No. 5 – Harrison Barnes — ping pong master: Warriors forward Harrison Barnes has potential to be a multi-sport star after his ping pong domination of San Francisco mayor Ed Lee on Saturday. Barnes attended the San Francisco Chinatown Ping Pong Festival on Sunday and caught the mayor off guard with a smash shot during what looked like a friendly game.
Three to see:
If you’ve made it this far, clearly you have some time on your hands. Here are three stories that you simply must see:
— Chandler Harnish was juuuust a bit outside with this throw. No wonder he’s a backup QB.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Raiders' Taiwan Jones is quietly having a standout season
- Case of the Mondays: SB48 fallout, Red Hot Chili Raiders, Jumbo's juke, and a 75-foot game-winner
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- A's Mike Fiers looks to mentor A.J. Puk and Jesus Luzardo this season
- Steve Kerr says 'nothing is official' about Steph Curry's March 1 target
- NFL Draft 2020: Laviska Shenault compares self to 49ers' Deebo Samuel
- Kings coming together, earning puncher's chance at making NBA playoffs
- Could Joe Thornton leave Sharks for Maple Leafs in NHL free agency?
- Steph Curry left off Chris Paul's description of ultimate point guard
- Bruce Bochy explains new role with Giants, says Joey Bart is 'real deal'
- Brandon Crawford's family golf tournament continues the fight against ALS
- Kyle Shanahan's Super Bowl loss with 49ers lingers more than Falcons'
- Warriors brought in Klay Thompson's friend 'off the street' to scrimmage
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|