Aug 19, 2013, 2:08 PM PDT
The tummy-churning rivalry between San Jose natives Joey Chestnut and Matt Stonie is starting to bubble up. Stonie, a rising star in the competitive eating world, upset Chestnut over the weekend in a potsticker eating contest.
Widely known as the top ranked professional eater in the world, Chestnut’s record of 266 potstickers consumed in 10 minutes fell when Stonie swallowed 268 of the tasty dumplings in front of a crowd in Los Angeles.
Chestnut finished in second place by eating 251.
“This was a big win from me,” Stonie told the Los Angeles Daily News. “This was one of the biggest for me so far and I trained hard for this.”
Stonie, who goes by the nickname “Megatoad,” also defeated Chestnut at the World Asparagus Eating Competition in Stockton this year. The 19-year-old, 120-pound newcomer has emerged as the greatest threat to Chestnut since Takeru Kobayashi. He has a ways to go when it comes to dethroning the Nathan’s World Famous Hot Dog Eating Champion, though.
Chestnut, 29, has won seven-straight Mustard Belts and finished 69 hot dogs and buns this year. Stonie finished in second place with 50.
Who’d have thought San Jose would become the epicenter of the professional eating world?
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- NBA power rankings: Where all 30 teams sit after amazing All-Star Game
- Brooks Koepka eager for run at historic PGA Championship three-peat
- Giants say they won't include Aubrey Huff in 2010 World Series reunion
- Sharks' third-period comeback falls short in loss to struggling Panthers
- Brooks Koepka's quest for PGA history heads to 'big boy' Harding Park
- Manchester United keep controversial clean sheet in win vs. Chelsea
- Shot of the Game: Kevin Labanc benefits from big bounce vs. Panthers
- Brenden Dillon breaks down when asked about potential Sharks trade
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in 5-3 matinee loss to Panthers
- Why Marquise Goodwin, 49ers parting ways this offseason makes sense
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|