Aug 19, 2013, 2:08 PM PDT
The tummy-churning rivalry between San Jose natives Joey Chestnut and Matt Stonie is starting to bubble up. Stonie, a rising star in the competitive eating world, upset Chestnut over the weekend in a potsticker eating contest.
Widely known as the top ranked professional eater in the world, Chestnut’s record of 266 potstickers consumed in 10 minutes fell when Stonie swallowed 268 of the tasty dumplings in front of a crowd in Los Angeles.
Chestnut finished in second place by eating 251.
“This was a big win from me,” Stonie told the Los Angeles Daily News. “This was one of the biggest for me so far and I trained hard for this.”
Stonie, who goes by the nickname “Megatoad,” also defeated Chestnut at the World Asparagus Eating Competition in Stockton this year. The 19-year-old, 120-pound newcomer has emerged as the greatest threat to Chestnut since Takeru Kobayashi. He has a ways to go when it comes to dethroning the Nathan’s World Famous Hot Dog Eating Champion, though.
Chestnut, 29, has won seven-straight Mustard Belts and finished 69 hot dogs and buns this year. Stonie finished in second place with 50.
Who’d have thought San Jose would become the epicenter of the professional eating world?
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chiefs' Frank Clark discusses bond with 'big brother' Draymond Green
- Why Patrick Marleau's goal song didn't play in Sharks' win over Ducks
- Richard Sherman has 'no animosity' to 49ers after Jim Harbaugh left
- How 49ers receivers learn from each other regardless of NFL experience
- Shot of the Game: Patrick Marleau ties Mike Modano on all-time goals list
- Richard Sherman explains what makes 49ers' defense so tough to beat
- 49ers' Richard Sherman wanted to put Jim Harbaugh 'out of the league'
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in impressive 4-2 win over Ducks
- Shot of the Game: De'Aaron Fox ties game after missing FT on purpose
- How Kyle Shanahan's relationship with Bill Belichick grew after Super Bowl LI
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|