Aug 20, 2013, 10:55 AM PDT
San Jose Sharks defenseman Brent Burns discovered a scary looking animal skull on the golf course on Sunday. Field of Teams referenced the discovery, but at the time, no one was able to identify exactly what type of animal it belonged to.
We took the liberty to send the picture to some wildlife experts at ProjectNoah.org, a community of animal osteologists. It was determined that Burns found the lower jaw of a groundhog — a rodent in the family, Sciuridae.
Here’s the original tweet from Burns.
On Monday, Burns was still trying to figure out exactly what type of bone he discovered. He told our Sharks Insider Kevin Kurz that he believed it belonged to a baby warthog.
One of Burns’ 67,000 followers was clearly on the right track with his response to Burns.
It’s a shame that Burns didn’t find something only identifiable by an archaeologist. It might have made a cool gift for Joe Thornton. Remember when the Sharks gave their captain a 10,000-year-old wooly mammoth tusk worth an estimated five figures to celebrate his 1,000th career game? Now you do.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Raiders' Taiwan Jones is quietly having a standout season
- Case of the Mondays: SB48 fallout, Red Hot Chili Raiders, Jumbo's juke, and a 75-foot game-winner
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- A's Mike Fiers looks to mentor A.J. Puk and Jesus Luzardo this season
- Steve Kerr says 'nothing is official' about Steph Curry's March 1 target
- NFL Draft 2020: Laviska Shenault compares self to 49ers' Deebo Samuel
- Kings coming together, earning puncher's chance at making NBA playoffs
- Could Joe Thornton leave Sharks for Maple Leafs in NHL free agency?
- Steph Curry left off Chris Paul's description of ultimate point guard
- Bruce Bochy explains new role with Giants, says Joey Bart is 'real deal'
- Brandon Crawford's family golf tournament continues the fight against ALS
- Kyle Shanahan's Super Bowl loss with 49ers lingers more than Falcons'
- Warriors brought in Klay Thompson's friend 'off the street' to scrimmage
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|