Aug 21, 2013, 3:42 PM PDT
Returning to the Rose Bowl for the first time since 1959 is the obvious priority of California Golden Bears head football coach Sonny Dykes.
The path to achieving that goal starts off the field and behind the scenes.
“A big part of my job,” he says, is “to educate our players not only on how to play football but also how to get their degree, and how to handle themselves in a manner that everybody can be proud of off the field.”
To achieve his goals, the new head coach has moved close to campus. It allows the opportunity to spend time with his family for a few key hours each day, while taking care of his work on campus. Former Golden Bears head coach Jeff Tedford lived in Danville, about 30 minutes from UC Berkeley — not that it matters at this point.
Dykes recently gave UC Berkeley Campus Life a unique tour of his day-to-day grind as he builds his program. The video takes viewers behind the scenes in his home, in his car, in his office, and on the practice field. It’s only four minutes, but it’s as close to Hard Knocks with the California Bears as you’re going to get.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Vlade Divac steps down as Kings GM; Joe Dumars takes interim role
- 49ers adding Tavon Austin, J.J. Nelson mounts pressure on Dante Pettis
- Giants plan to add player names to back of home jerseys in 2021 season
- 49ers' Arik Armstead identifies areas in which he can be better in 2020
- Haberstroh: Who will Bulls target after Jim Boylen’s firing?
- Giants vs. A's MLB live stream: How to watch Battle of the Bay online, on TV
- Raiders' Marcus Mariota 'dazzling' Jon Gruden so far in training camp
- Why Warriors shouldn't be concerned about Suns' undefeated bubble run
- A's Frankie Montas scratched vs. Giants, Jesús Luzardo will start
- Giants return to Oracle Park with more than 10,000 cutouts in stands
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|